Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Modify.cgi
I was wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me how can I have a modify.cgi work like the one at http://ww w.hotscripts.com/cgi-bin/modify.cgi

Thank you for your support in advance.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [TRPN] Modify.cgi In reply to
If you want your users to be able to modify their listing by Link ID rather then just clicking on Modify and seeing all of their links.... you could create a seperate form (just like the one on hotscripts that you mentioned), and have the form run a little script which presents only the one link for modifcation.

I am not sure why you would want to do this, when the modifcation system in links seems to offer the user more (they can choose from the links they own).

You can also add to the existing links-modify template, for example display each links' ID by adding the <%ID%> tag inside of the link loop.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Modify.cgi In reply to
Hi,

I do not require users to signup before they can add the listing, hence I guess, the login to modify suggestion might not work.

I didn't understood properly what you meant, can you please explain in little details [also keep in mind, I dont' know programming so please us simple language] here is the sample url http://www.needscripts.com/Resource/1503.html what if someone wants to modify this listings, clicking on "modify" is not working.

Please help.

Vishal
Quote Reply
If you don't let users log on, than anyone could modify (or remove!) any link.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Modify.cgi In reply to
How can someone remove any link? I mean, I haven't heard of this before, can you please clarify?

The reason, I am not requiring users to login before they can add, is because, I am having someone else adding all the listings [like one person adding about few thousand listings], now if the actual owner wants to come and modify, than it would be possible for him, only if I don't require users to login.

Also, can you help me understand, how can anyone delete listings without admin rights?

Thank you.

Vishal
Quote Reply
If it is just one person who is doing the link adding for you, why not make them an administrator? (if you trust them that much). If not, it seems like they could simply be an editor with a lot of privileges assigned to them.

Edit:

Quote:
Also, can you help me understand, how can anyone delete listings without admin rights?

An editor can delete links only if you assign delete privileges to them. But in order to control the privileges they need to be a user in your system (hence the login system).

If you have an "open" directory, you could in theory, make everyone an editor.

Links allows for submission without admin approval also, but as I understand it, they still have to register/login before they can submit.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jul 12, 2002, 10:52 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Modify.cgi In reply to
Ouch,,,,,,, looks like there is some form of mis-understanding going on. Let me try to explain.

I am working on [url]http://www.NeedScripts.com[/url], a site that is similar in content to hotscripts or scritpsearch or many other directories out there. To compete with my existing directories, I have hired 2 people to add listings in my directory - however, I would also like to mention that script/program/website owners are also submitting their listing to NeedScripts.com

Now my concern is with modify.cgi, as many scripts owners might want to modify their listings added by them or someone else [lets say the person hired for dataentry], in this event, I thought it would be best to allow people to modify listing without registration - as the listing will be finally approved by admin/me.

Now the current modify.cgi is not very userfriendly when someone is trying to modify without loging in - here is the example - http://www.needscripts.com/cgi/modify.cgi?ID=2 however, if I can change this form to look something like http://www.hotscripts.com/cgi-bin/modify.cgi where user has to input the ID number and hence user can modify only the required field and not have to fill out the complete form, as it can be boring/annoying to fill out the whole form when user wanting to make some tiny changes.

Can you guys please help??

Vishal
Quote Reply
Hi TRPN,

I think it would be MUCH more simple for you if you did the following:

a. Install Editor Monitor (available through Ian) This will allow you to track the performance of your "paid for" employees/contractors as well as "non-paid" category editors. I feel strongly that thisis needed and will be the best 45 bucks you ever spent when it comes to seeing what is going on on your site.

b. The standard user interface allows people to register, login and submit new listings to your Links directory. You can choose that if a submission is going into an editors category for the editor to approve/validate the listing. If not then the admin would.

Note: If a listing was entered by an editor the listing can be modified by the admin.editor to include any new information that you want to include. If you want to hand over ownership of the link from an editor to a user then have the editor remove the link and the user resubmit it. Then the link is owned by the user not the editor and can make any changes they want at anytime.

Hope that helps!

Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Modify.cgi In reply to
I am not sure if even buying the plugin will solve my problem. Because I am looking for a possibilty where Mr.X might be adding the listings and Mr.Y might be requesting an update. In this situation - I guess the best way should be the way hotscripts.com has it, like where the user will input the ID number and can modify only what is required.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Vishal
Quote Reply
ie: remove a link:

They can edit the link and set it to empty, or to a bogus value.

The best way to let the owner modify it, is to have them request access to that link, and modify it for them. You'd be much better off that way.

Leaving your directory open like that is an Rx for disaster.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Modify.cgi In reply to
In Reply To:
ie: remove a link:

They can edit the link and set it to empty, or to a bogus value.

Will the link be updated without admin validation ?

I thought admin needs to approve validations, right?

Please help - now I am totaly lost..... Shocked

Vishal
Quote Reply
... and it's easier to do that, than to simply verify a user is who they say they are??? <G>

My point is that if you allow anyone to edit your directory, someone could go through and simply modify all your links. You'd have to sort them out, or just dump the whole validate table. Very, very time consuming and problematic.

It's just not a good idea to leave this sort of thing open.

It's much easier to handle a request to change the LinkOwner to Username.

If you validate your users, you could even allow this to be an _automatic_ process, since if a user abuses it, you know who they are.

You could also limit it to allow changes only when LinkOwner is "anonymous", or some other flag field, but that would prevent people from causing trouble.

You could also limit it to allow a LinkOwner to only have 5 or less Links, without needing to go through an Admin check, just to prevent a user from suddenly going psycho.

*NEVER*, *EVER*, *TRUST* a user!! <G> (or form input, or script input, or *ANYTHING* not coming from a logged in user with a static IP and dedicated terminal with hardware and biometric identification enabled!)

Please leave a PM here.