Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

"New" not working properly

Quote Reply
"New" not working properly
No matter what I set the build_new_cutoff to it labels way too many sites as new. I have it set to 1 right now and it's going back 30-40 days with the New tag. Sites with an Add Date of 3/1/07 are labeled New.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [Spacemanspiff] "New" not working properly In reply to
If you're running in dynamic mode, you have to run nph-build.cgi --flags for the new flags to be updated.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] "New" not working properly In reply to
I don't think I'm running in dynamic mode. I'm not really sure what that means. In Setup --> Build Options, dynamic_pages is set to yes, but I think that's the default and I've just never changed it. All my scripts (4) are set like that and the New functions works properly on those. (At least I think it does Crazy)
Quote Reply
I figured it out. Somehow Use Ajax for the category drop down list was checked off in the setup build options.
Quote Reply
I'm still trying to figure this out. The above reply was mistakenly made in the wrong thread.

I have the new interval set to 10 days on one site. It's adding the new tag all the way back to April 22.

On another site it's also set to 10 days. It's adding the new tag to sites dated March 10.

Both sites were "built" today. Someone mentioned "dynamic mode". The only thing I could find on that was "dynamic_pages" in the build options. It was set to yes. I changed it to no. Still getting the same number of sites with new tags.
Quote Reply
Hi,

You are running in dynamic mode so like Adrian says "run nph-build.cgi --flags" to update the new flags for your links.

This operation re-checks the date links were added against the current date and re-flags them either as new, or not, depending on the date.

If you don't do this, nothing will change!

If you don't have shell access, try using Build > Build Staggered - then stopping it after it's updated the new and cool flags.

Hope this helps Smile

Cheers,
Shaun
Quote Reply
If you give me admin panel access, I can take a quick look at it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Brewt, I sent you the login info.

I tried running nph-build.cgi --flags. I got the messages saying the flags were being updated but as far as I can tell nothing changed. Will running that command change a site to "new" if it was originally added as not new? Just curious.

Thanks for all the responses.
Quote Reply
ok, I don't mind pointing out when I do something stupid, so here it is.

CrazyDid you know that you have to "build" the pages before they actually change.Crazy

If I had a nickel for every time I've told someone in our company that I could retire.

Running nph-build.cgi --flags has changed things up a bit. I'll have to look closer to see if it's right but I'm guessing it probably is.
Quote Reply
So can I assume that this issue has been resolved?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Well, I would prefer that the flags get updated automatically on build. I'm running 4 different sites with the script and it would be a bit of a pain to manually update them. I don't really want to use a cron job to do it since we don't always validate submissions every day. Sometimes we'll adjust the new cutoff to more accurately show the new sites that are added if no sites we're added for several days.
Quote Reply
The flags do get updated on build. Just that if you run a dynamic site (ie. you use page.cgi), then you have to run nph-build.cgi --flags. If you're running a static site (ie. your build static pages), then it updates the flags when you build and don't have to have that cron job.

Adrian
Quote Reply
The way I understand it, I'm in dynamic mode if dynamic_pages in build options is set to "yes", correct? As an example, on one site that option is set to "no", build_new_cuttoff is set to 7 days, and on the "New" page there are links to the pages for individual days ranging from June 9, 2007 all the way back to March 11, 2007.

Am I correct in assuming that I'm not in dynamic mode, but the new flags are not getting updated? I don't use page.cgi. Don't even know what that is. I "build" a bare bones static page for each category in a separate folder then "include" it via SSI on the relevant category page.

I'm thinking there's a simple answer out there and I'm just missing it.
Quote Reply
I'm still having problems with the New flag. I ran nph-build.cgi --flags from the command line but the flag didn't get changed. The New cutoff is set to 10 days. The New index page shows sites from yesterday all the way back to May 18th. I tried it with dynamic mode on and off. I tried changing the new cutoff and running the command again. No change.