Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Help with reduction in build time

Quote Reply
Help with reduction in build time
I was hoping someone might have some tips on how to reduce build time for the site?

When I am using luna template without any edits in detailed template. System is building about 15 to 20 templates per second. However when I change it to custom build template, it is really really 'really' slow. Build time for each detailed pages is just under a second.

Any tips on how to speed up build time?

Thanks.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Help with reduction in build time In reply to
It will most likely be due to the number of globals you are using.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Help with reduction in build time In reply to
I am gonna try to clean up any global that I am not using.

Also, I think it might also have to do with tons of link properties (about 110).. Do you think that could also be causing problem???

** Edit **
By the way, I have more globals in Luna template than custom template. Since right now I am using luna as testing platform for code output for all the globals.

Vishal

Last edited by:

SWDevil.Com: Aug 12, 2009, 12:17 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yeah, having a load of Links fields won't help (as there is more data to grab)

Quote:
By the way, I have more globals in Luna template than custom template. Since right now I am using luna as testing platform for code output for all the globals.

Its not only the number of globals - but what they do =) (i.e are the accessing mysql, etc)

Also - a lot of stuff can be done via plugin calls too - so you may wanna see what of those you are calling.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
After removing 11 link properties (now managing multiple info in same field is gonna get interesting and few globals, seems like things have picked up little bit. Also, last weeks idea of setting up cron build ever 2-3 hours would be silly, since even with current speed it would take about 3-4 hours to do build all. I was under the impression quad core with 2gb ram would be okay, but seems like this might need more.

Vishal
Quote Reply
You know something does not seem right.

I mean I am having more link properties and globals at Web Hosting Kit, however when I just did build all there, it is processing that pretty fast (about 10 to 12 detailed pages/sec), while on Software Devil, right now it is taking about 1 to 3 seconds for each detailed page. Crazy

Can you think of anything besides the globals and link properties? (I do plan to do another test build after removing all (except default) globals.

Vishal
Quote Reply
How many links do you have on both sites? My guess is you have more on SoftwareDevil - correct? If so, thats normal ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yeah it has little over 41k listings, while Web Hosting Kit has about 11k. However I was under the impression that GLinks might not show any signs of slowing down till its easily over 100k listings.

Now here is a weird thing - I am going to try to edit the template and see what could doing this:

Now assuming that, thing the design of detailed page in custom template is taking long time because of many instance of if/elseif and few include call, here is what I did:

1. Took the source code from custom template and pasted it in the footer of luna template and then thought of doing build all.

The funny thing is, it did build with pretty just normal speed and when I looked at the detailed page, it had all the proper tags in it. (well except the css formatting and images from custom template as the paths were wrong)

I am going to do some testing with review include and editing of other templates to see if anything can help.

Since if number of listings were a problem, then the problem should have slowed down this test build too.

oh man can't even pull my hairs - just had a haircut and its all military style.....

Vishal
Quote Reply
Ya, the more work GT::Template does, it will slow down.

If you look into the /compiled template folder, you will see the different in size of the template (compared to the luna one)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Finally found the solution. As after testing build of different template set with same database.. I think the whole system was slowing down because of the use of one little global. Global is still there in the global file, but removed it from the top of detailed.html and now it is building pages with very good speed (10 to 15 / sec). Also not to mention, as discussed above, removing unused global and few fields from link properties also seems to be helping.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Hi Vishal,
I'm just curious ;-)
What global was it???

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Help with reduction in build time In reply to
Don't think anyone could be using that global, as it was just for this site. It was suppose to pull specific information and 'next' listings and display them on the page. I believe trying to retrieve that process is what was holding the system back. And to top everything, the feature is actually optional for the site :)

Vishal