Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Long category drop menu

Quote Reply
Long category drop menu
Hi,
We are using links sql 2.0 very well but we have long category drop menu since we built a huge database of categories with more than 15 levels sometimes. This long drop menu cause a long scrolling in the screen. We examined the way yahoo.com uses to choose category and they do not have such a problem. We need to keep these categories but we appreciate if some one poses a solution for us to avoid this scrolling so not bothering our visitors.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,

wewe
Quote Reply
Re: Long category drop menu In reply to
Hi,

Goto Setup->Build Options and set db_gen_category_list to No. Links SQL will now require a user to click on add from the category they want to add to.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Long category drop menu In reply to
WOW! Great new site. I thought I was in the wrong place....

Back to business - I've never used this feature before but have now turned it on. Proceeded as instructed and here's the error

Please first visit the category you wish to add or move your link to, then click on Add/Modify a Link.

I have modified the templates and am wondering if I deleted some code.

Any suggestions...

Thanks-

M
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] Long category drop menu In reply to
Just to clarify, I did in fact try to add from the category and still received the error. Is there a place where I can find the original code that would enable this feature to work?

Thanks-
Quote Reply
If you haven't changed the code itself (the .pm files, not the templates), then the most likely cause is that the link to add.cgi doesn't have the ID=<category_id> argument. You can get the original files, by untarring the install.dat file from the install package.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi,

That error is because you need to pass in ?ID=<%ID%> on category pages.

I believe the following works:

Code:
<%if category_id%>
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi?ID=<%category_id%>">Add Link</a>
<%else%>
<a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi">Add Link</a>
<%endif%>

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!