Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Where the hell is the file-upload?

Quote Reply
Where the hell is the file-upload?
Pugdog writes something about a new file-upload in 2.05 in this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=162167;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

"""The problem is the integration with the Link record, and the Links_Attach table (similar to the file attach in 2.05). """

I have installed the 2.1 beta just a minute ago, but i cant find anything for uploading??

I still work with the 1.13 cause GT has left this feature and im still not amused about that.
For me the upload is one of the most important features and i really hope GT could do this finally.

Robert

Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Where the hell is the file-upload? In reply to
Hi,

This is in there.

I can't imagine it was removed in the 2.1 version.

My problem is all my servers are down/offline, and we are in disaster recovery
mode due to a problem with the backups. I have no way to access my files, to
give examples, or such.

Check the documentation in the

GT Module Documentation/SQL/File

section. You'll find some help on how to do this. It's a basic upload/attach,
one file/attach per column.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Where the hell is the file-upload? In reply to
Thank you Robert for the advice.
There wasn´t any doku the last years so haven´t the idea to look in the new one ;-).
After i haven´t found the fileupload i ve begun with in-links and melt it with vbulletin the last two days; it seems for my poor brain it is much more easier to program in php than in perl, while a lot of things are equal. The programmers of in-link have done a lot of bullshit in my opinien; e.g. they use arrays with numbers instead of names; so its a lot of stress to jump from a to b and find all the neccessary lines to change when modyfing the scripts. But at all it begins to make fun and im hopeful to implement all the needed things for my own; things i havent got with links 1.13 to run.
Have you seen my work at www.handwerksfuerer.de ? What do you think?
I will try the upload later; if i have the example for one file, i think i could the rest for my own, while it seems to me much harder to work with the 2.1 than with 1.13. Though i had the clue that the things are now much more in a structure, but i will need time to understand them. We will see. Thank another time.

Robert
Quote Reply
There is a manual for Links SQL. Have a look in the 'members download' area. It is VERY well documented, IMHO Wink You may find it helpful in many cases.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>> they use arrays with numbers instead of names; so its a lot of stress to jump from
>> a to b and find all the neccessary lines to change when modyfing the scripts

This is a good and bad thing. It helps performance, but it makes code support a
BEAR to try to maintain.

GT's Links gets away with it, by using a combination of hash/array accesses. This is
partly what the 'position' field is in the database.

But, it's because of the use of 'hashes' that you can create template globals and other variables on the fly. Without them, you'd be stuck trying to enter/modify some table of entries in a configuration file.... or worse.

Given the relative value of servers vs programmer time, and the fact that the server
costs keep going down, whilc power goes up, it makes no sense to make code that is
hard to maintain. The use of hashes is one reason I chose GT-links over some of
the other choices.

The performance loss is negligable when compared to programmer costs. It's much
cheaper to add a new machine, a few more RAM chips, or an additional processor, than
it is to keep training, and maintaining your programmers on the code.

At one time, when a 256k upgrade was $800 on a machine that had a limit of 640k,
and a CPU clock of 4.33 on an 8-bit bus, then, code efficiency was very important.
Now, with 256 Meg chips in the $200 range or less, and CPU's running at over 800
MHz on 32 or 64 bit buses, then code efficiency in the area of an array call vs a HASH
call, becomes much, much less important.

Most programs fall apart in their basic logic, not in the use of array vs hash.

granted, driver programs, OS kernal code, and such should be highly optimized,
and array vs hash is a viable concern. Possibly even in C and C++ (which is a non-
text processing language) it would matter, but in a language like PERL, which is so
"high level" in it's abstraction levels, optimizing to this point is almost silly.

I may not be making the point properly... but in an optimized environment, such
as a search on a SPECIFIC site, using arrays or even C/C++ would be a better
choice -- but it makes the program less flexible, at only marginal improvements.

I dare say, it's almost at the point where active websites could devote a whole
processor/cpu/front-end to each connection, the way the old BBS's did with the
"pc on a card" -- one CPU for each modem connect. At that point, only the database
itself (written in an optimized language and code) and the network take the hits.
Each user has their own truely virtual machine :)

Don't think it's coming? They said that about the death of the mainframe,
and the mainframe, and shared processing is back. (ie: webserver).

I guess the bottom line point in all this is that "power" almost a relative term,
since it really depends on the hardware, and situation the software is being used in.

It's much cheaper, and more efficient to throw additional hardware at GOOD,
maintainable code, than it is to try to squeeze every drop of power from
insufficient hardware using optimized unmaintainable code.

The hardware is fleeting, the code is enduring -- :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
How did you manage to get from the file-upload question to server maintenance lol Angelic

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 20, 2001, 2:02 PM
Quote Reply
Hi again, Robert.
I make myself no thoughts about performance;
every server has at least Dual P3s 500 with 256 megs; the newest 1Ghz, 1 Gig meg,
while we have less than 10.000 visits per server a day.

Sometimes im afraid about my javachat (digichat.com) and the realserver we use on one server.
---
I make really good efforts with in-link and work at boxes like in php-nuke at the moment;
the problem for me is still that no competitor bring all the things i want to have.

It seems GT has finally understand that LSQL is much more than a search-engine (i use it as a cms since a long time ;-), and im looking forward to the 'community'

php-nuke is a fine thing and a lot of people seem to work on it; but finally its a child´s toy for me;
they work and work on certain small effects to show these and that at the startpage; but it seems noone has the goal to get a real cms.

Some other perl-scripts (atlas, photoads ...) has nice features but miss a lot of others;
so i will try to keep on doing the things on my own, waiting what GT will bring up.

Inlink and vbulletin are melted now; the next steps will be the system for boxes and the access-system for moderators, so everyone could change in his area the things he want. After that i will melt vbulletin with the hotornot.com (better one at .de !) features. The last part will be features from dooyoo.com, a portal where users could talk about products and get webmiles for it.

Hope i will alive this day ;-) An auction, shop-system and bannerrotation will finish it finally...
Maybe after all that work i will be able to understand the new lsql; at the moment i cant follow the logic, but im hopefull ...

Robert

Quote Reply
Hi Robert,

File Uploads got added back in 2.0.4. To use this, goto Database->Links->Properties and add a column. For form type select FILE, and then enter in the directory to save them.

The admin is auto updated and you can add/modify from the admin. If you want users to upload files, then you need to add the file type to the add and modify forms, and make sure enctype="multipart/form-data" in the <form> tag.

The user manual can be downloaded from the licensed area which covers this a little.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Post deleted by Clint In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Where the hell is the file-upload? In reply to
Hi Alex, i sit again over this ;-(

Means that, i could add e.g. 10 new columns to add 10 Files per Link?

Robert