Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Moving Links SQL to new server

Quote Reply
Moving Links SQL to new server
Hey there,

Can anyone point me in the right direction in what needs to be done to transfer links SQL to a new server? I have searched the forums, checked out the faq, and even looked in the manual, but have not found a detailed way of doing this. I am sure it's out there somewhere, I'm just having terrible luck finding it.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [Chrisp] Moving Links SQL to new server In reply to
Its quite a long process. Try searching for "moving to new server" in the Links SQL forum (all 4/5 of them). If not, here is a basic idea of what do do;

CHMOD .cgi files to 755.
CHMOD other files to 755
CHMOD folders, which contain data...and also the pages directories to 777.
Update the paths in the .pm files, and .cgi files.

Thats it....but its a bit more indepth, I'm just making it simple to give you an idea of what to do Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

There was a thread about a month or so ago. Several people offered suggestions, and I pointed out traps/tricks/pitfalls in doing it (I've moved quite a few servers between physical machines....<sigh>)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Here is some help:

1. on your old server, go to MySQLman and do an SQL dump (write to file) of all the Links SQL tables.
2. install Links SQL on the new server (as if it was a new install)
3. setup all the options (paths, etc) on the new server in the 'Setup" menu
4. copy your custom templates from the 'local' folders on your old installation to the 'local' folders in your new installation
5. copy the SQL dump to the new server,
6. on your new server, go to 'SQL monitor' and do 'run queries saved in file', indicating the path where the SQL dump is stored.
7. copy all the .def files in the admin/def directory from your old server to your new server. You might need to change username/password in the 'database.def' file.
8. install any plugins you use on the new server.
9. the new installation should be ready to use!

That's about it. If I missed something, let me know.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Moving Links SQL to new server In reply to
I don't know what the Links SQL backup backups up but it may be easier to do one of those backups instead of a dump.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Moving Links SQL to new server In reply to
The good thing about the SQL dump and import method is that any additional columns in the tables are created automatically (if you have 'create tables' selected, which is selected by default). The Links SQL backup does not create additional columns.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Moving Links SQL to new server In reply to
Thanks everyone! Getting on it now, and crossing fingers SmileSmileSmile
Quote Reply
I think I got it okay. The only problem I notice is on a search. A text search will bring up results, but a search using one of the drop down boxes, nothing comes up. I tried doing rebuild search, repair tables, build all, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by:

Chrisp: Mar 7, 2003, 12:30 PM