Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

File Upload

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
File Upload
I've added a file field into the add form and when I attach a file it take a long time to submit so i assume it is uploading the file but then I don't know where to find the file...it isn't where I entered in the table editor for "FILE Save Location"

Crazy

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 9, 2002, 7:48 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] File Upload In reply to
Same problem. Speed issue when uploading and location problems.

What type of file are you uploading? Are you storing as HASHED?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] File Upload In reply to
No I chose simple, its a PDF, 130kb.....the form submits after about 10 secs so its not timing out
Quote Reply
Maybe I should use the simple method, it might solve my problems in the plugin authors forum. I read that it is not a good idea to use simple over hashed for over 10,000, but how many people have 10,000 users on their links?

10 secs for 130kb does sound excessive. But I have experienced this when uploading a similar si*ed attachment on GForum.

Last edited by:

Ian: Sep 9, 2002, 7:54 AM
Quote Reply
>>
10 secs for 130kb does sound excessive.
<<

That was just a random number I picked.....I don't think that's the issue, it just isnt saving the file :(
Quote Reply
What did you put for file_save_in when creating the column?
Quote Reply
A path to a directory called pdf

I don't know why I posted here...moved to Discussions.
Quote Reply
Errrr, well I should work??

Try HASHED and see what it does.

And the form you used to upload has all the necessary crap in it? ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" blah

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yep enctype is there, I tried hashed, same problem.

Btw my modem has 265k upload speeds so converted into bytes...32k....chop off a few due to browsing and downloading...25k so it should be 7-8s to upload a 140kb file so it was about right.
Quote Reply
That is weird.... what is contained in the actual column when you browse it? Blank?

And your form filed is TYPE="File"? Crazy
Quote Reply
It has to be type="file" otherwise how would i be selcting a file from my hard drive Wink

No the column contains the path of the file on my local computer.
Quote Reply
Hmmmm. Well I can't crack it... I am studying jump.cgi right now to try and work out how to reference the file in an image tag.
Quote Reply
How strange, have you take a look at the Links_Files table to see if the file entry is there? Somtimes, weird things happen if the file_save_in is changed or there are permission problems.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] File Upload In reply to
I don't see a Links_Files table :(
Quote Reply
Was this a backup? The file handlers won't work unless the Links_File table is there. It's supposed to be automatically created is when someone adds a File column to their table. It sometimes fails to create the table if the .def file is edited by hand, or only the Links table has been restored from backup.

One thing you can try is to remove all the File tables from the database and re-ad them and see if the table comes back.
Quote Reply
Nope not a backup, it was a new install, the defs weren't edited by hand either :(

I'll try removing and re-creating.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Yay it worked, thanks Angelic
Quote Reply
Just while Im on a roll of dumbness, Im trying to load that good old pdf via jump.cgi, could you tell me the correct format as currently I get an error saying the file can't be found. I was trying:

jump.cgi?ID=1&download=PDF
Quote Reply
Hmm... I don't think that's your fault there, take a look in the Links_File table and verify that the path in there corresponds correctly to the path that the file has been saved.
Quote Reply
Its showing:

/www/cgi-bin/index/pdf

/www/ is symlinked elsewhere, that shouldn't matter should it?
Quote Reply
Nope. It just does an open FH, "<$clean_path" so unless the OS has issues about that it won't have any. Does the file show up in the pdf directory somewhere?

Last edited by:

Aki: Sep 9, 2002, 1:32 PM
Quote Reply
Yeah it got named as:

1-gforum.pdf
Quote Reply
Can you see the file when you download from the admin?
Quote Reply
How do you mean? Where should I be looking?
Quote Reply
Assuming the file has been uploaded properly. It would become available in the admin.cgi when you do a search for it. A link will appear on the search results listing with "View Download" beside the filename.
> >