Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Detailed Clicks counting towards popular

Quote Reply
Detailed Clicks counting towards popular
Hi,

Because of the way I have set LinkSQL up I was wondering if it was possible to have clicks on detailed url clocked towards the popular status ? I have more of an article/review by editors than links per se and hence I would like a click to be counted (maybe weighted as a half) towards the popular stats. Does anybody know of any code or plug-in like this ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Detailed Clicks counting towards popular In reply to
I think Laura has a plugin that counts the pageviews for detailed pages too.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
If you just want to count clicks to detailed pages as well as clicks out, you can link to detailed pages using

jump.cgi?Detailed=<%ID%>

Note that you won't have any separate stats for clicks to detailed pages or out of the site but this would definitely be the easiest way to do it.

If you want something more complicated than that you would probably need a plugin.

Pugdog's detailed page plugin will count clicks to detailed pages which you could probably then combine with Hits in a global to get a popular list.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Detailed Clicks counting towards popular In reply to
Hi thanks for that input. I'll look into it. I didn't know pugdog had this type of plug-in, hadn't seen it at ultranerds. What about your plug-in what does function does it provide ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
My plugins collect extra information so that you can analyse click throughs (ExtraStats) or pageviews (SiteStats) by day, month etc. rather than for all time.

This thread has an attachment showing some of the available tags that you can use to show statistics with ExtraStats:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=256182#256182
And SiteStats has similar statistics for pageviews/unique visitors.

This page has a few examples:
http://www.theukhighstreet.com/p/GT_plugins
Quote Reply
Hey John,

I would recommend you to check out Laura's plugin, it is worth every penny and much more.. Here is just one feature http://www.needscripts.com/cgi/page.cgi?p=toppopular of her plugin :)

P.S.. Hey Laura, thanks for extraordinary help and support you have provided.

Vishal

Vishal

Last edited by:

NeedScripts.Com: Oct 7, 2004, 5:22 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Detailed Clicks counting towards popular In reply to
Cool Thanks Vishal. (New site looks great).
Quote Reply
Hi Vishal,

thanks for your reference, looks great, I love the trend part. Nice (re) design by the way. I took a look at Laura's reference page and it looks as you say as if there is a wealth of functions hidden in there !

Cheers, John

Thanks Laura for your responses BTW Smile

PS : Vishal did you do a lot of modding for that page or are the functions included in the plug-in ?
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi Laura,

Thank you for postive comments for the website, and all the help and suggestion that you provided while I was working on it.

Hi John,

Quote:
it looks as you say as if there is a wealth of functions hidden in there !

Thanks for the positive words for the site. :) Yup her plugin is wonderful and it has tons of functions, it is just the matter of using them.. actually I am working on setting up few more pages, based on her plugin and I am pretty sure this new pages are going to be make oure site even better.

Quote:
PS : Vishal did you do a lot of modding for that page or are the functions included in the plug-in ?

modifying? what is that? lol.. I mean.. nope. I haven't done any modification. I just took at the code as it is, put it in the html of the page where I wanted it and boom... :)

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
OK

It's just that for 80 dollars (for the bundle) I need to be sure that a) I'm going to get good support like Andy and webmaster33 (which I can see Laura's clients get from her) and b) that the product provides interesting functions (which I can see from yours and Lauras pages).

So I'll be hopping over to PayPal...

Thanks Laura and thanks Vishal (Laura will most probably be thanking you separately Wink LOL)

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
The detail_page.cgi does a variety of different countings.

It counts detail_hits and site_visits separately.

If you wanted to count them together, you can just change the column the hits are written to in the script.

This plugin was designed for static sites, to dynamically display detail pages in either static mode, or dynamic mode, so they didn't have to be pre-generated.

The plugin is in the downloads area on GT's site ;) That still exists :)

A more current version may be posted to the forum, but I don't know. Search for detail_page and username pugdog in the search, and it should come up.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.