Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Joomla Revisited

Quote Reply
Joomla Revisited
Has there been any further work from anyone in creating a good integration with Joomla CMS with LinksSQL?

Nothing on the Joomla plugin's for link management comes even close to GT's stuff. But I like everything else Joomla has to offer.

Lance
Quote Reply
Re: [lancerasmussen] Joomla Revisited In reply to
I would have great interest in a bridge that would allow Links to use the Joomla usertable. Joomla is an excellent CMS and I have a very large well-established site. I have over 1,300 sites in a directory using a Joomla-friendly system, but I am not happy with it.

If there were any way to have Links use the Joomla usertable so my users could have one logon between the two systems, that'd be great.

I see an "Auth_vBulletin" plug-in for vBulletin sites. Can we get one for Joomla? I'd switch to Links in a second if there were one.

Sean
Scarsdale Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ScarsdaleTech.com
Quote Reply
Re: [lancerasmussen] Joomla Revisited In reply to
lancerasmussen wrote:
Has there been any further work from anyone in creating a good integration with Joomla CMS with LinksSQL?

Nothing on the Joomla plugin's for link management comes even close to GT's stuff. But I like everything else Joomla has to offer.

Lance

Not even SOBI2?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [deadroot] Joomla Revisited In reply to
Quote:

Not even SOBI2?

I'd prefer to use Gossamer-Threads. It is the best Links script available.

Sean
Scarsdale Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ScarsdaleTech.com
Quote Reply
Re: [spcover] Joomla Revisited In reply to
I don't believe we have an existing Joomla authentication plugin for links, and as far as I've heard, there hasn't been much of a demand for one either. If there's a high enough demand for one and someone allows us to create a plugin using their Joomla installation, we may consider writing one. Of course, there's also the option to pay us (or someone else), to write the plugin.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [spcover] Joomla Revisited In reply to
spcover wrote:
Quote:

Not even SOBI2?

I'd prefer to use Gossamer-Threads. It is the best Links script available.

Sean

Yes, me too. Although, I've heard that SOBI2 if quite good plugin for Joomla. For users that like Joomla...

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [DeadMan] Joomla Revisited In reply to
Hi everyone,

I was just looking at integrating Joomla and Gossamer Links as well.

I'm planning to use Joomla for the content and web site design, and Glinks for the database.

Would this be a straightforward job to combine the two? There's no need to integrate their user databases together.

Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Joomla Revisited In reply to
brewt wrote:
I don't believe we have an existing Joomla authentication plugin for links, and as far as I've heard, there hasn't been much of a demand for one either. If there's a high enough demand for one and someone allows us to create a plugin using their Joomla installation, we may consider writing one. Of course, there's also the option to pay us (or someone else), to write the plugin.

Very late to this one!

I use joomla almost exclusively now for sites, the best link directories you can really get for it are SOBI and Mostes Tree, theyre ok but nowhere near the power of links but they are popular enough. Mosets is what powers the Joomla Extension Directory itself.

I have always been interested in a Links bridge, or why not Community to tie in many of the GT products, you could curl wrap them in joomla and it could probably work quite well. I just dont have the funding to contemplate the idea of comissioning my own.

I'd be happy to set up a Joomla site on my dedicated server for assisting in this if its still of interest or under consideration.

Theres a free Joomla bridge thats gaining in popularity called JFusion, the developers are too busy to contemplate adding more plugins for it but theyre happy enough to grant access to the code, framework and api as its gpl. They claim its quite easy for developers to utilise.
Quote Reply
Re: [roman365] Joomla Revisited In reply to
I would LOVE a bridge to Joomla. Lack on integration between logins for different sections of a site is a traffic killer.
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Joomla Revisited In reply to
brewt wrote:
I don't believe we have an existing Joomla authentication plugin for links............ If there's a high enough demand for one and someone allows us to create a plugin using their Joomla installation, we may consider writing one..........

Hi Adrian,

If it is possible and doable to create a Joomla plugin, it would indeed be a great addition to GLinks potential. Especially, since Joomla already has an existing collection of zillion extensnions (including phpbb).

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Joomla Revisited In reply to
Excellent, its great to see others are interested in this too :)
Quote Reply
roman365 wrote:
Excellent, its great to see others are interested in this too :)

Oh I think there are many of us interested, but GT is working on an update of Gforum for years now.
What do you think how long a bridge to joomla will take ;-)

Normally I'm trying to think positive, but in this case Whistle

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Joomla Revisited In reply to
My interest is solely in links sql up til now :) Although a good webmail integration with gmail would be very interesting, theres very few solutions along those lines for Joomla that really work.

I use other solutions for forums etc, I especially focus on Joomla integration wherever possible.

By no means is Joomla perfect its just I've got a lot of time and resouces invested in it and it is for the most part better than the competition.
Quote Reply
Any update on this?

Vishal
Quote Reply
~ anyone ~ ?

Vishal
Quote Reply
Hi Vishal,
I'd like to see a bridge to joomla and to wordpress, too.

I'm not a programmer and I don't know if a bridge from gcommunity to other products would be very difficult.
But I know that this would be a big jump into the future for GT and it's products.

Unfortunately there are not many people that believe in GT and it's products. Look at the forums, there are just a few people left...
I think GT sees its future in developing webpages as custom jobs but not in developing software...

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Joomla Revisited In reply to
I will send a PM to Andy, I know he has been busy lately, but he might be able to whip up a plug-in for Joomla.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've already tried writing one for Joomla, and I'jm afraid it didn't work out so well :( Not really got the time to start playing around with it either - as it could take hours (if not days), to try and find the right code to make it work :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Joomla Revisited In reply to
:( kinda sad that you won't be able to work on this.

But .. thanks for the quick reply. :)

Vishal

Last edited by:

SWDevil.Com: Oct 19, 2009, 3:41 AM
Quote Reply
I'll try and have a look at it again at some point, when I get some time (no guarantees on a timeline though =))

Quote:
But .. that was a quick reply. :)

;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Joomla Revisited In reply to
Good one andy.

As I have probably mentioned before theres the authentication component/bridge jfusion, they make their code available for plugin writers I believe.

If I had the finance right now I would be offering to pay but things arent so good right now money wise. When funds are better I may just come back and talk about this.

The current best offerings for Joomla are Mosets Tree and Sobi2, as directory scripts theyre very good, the problem is they are severely lacking in many of the extras Links SQL has had developed for it like link spidering, link checking and reporting etc. Once your directory grows past a certain level it becomes very hard to keep up with manual maintenance.

Now if someone were to revisit the links php rewrite and redo links sql in the Joomla MVC php code youd have a powerful contender on your hands Laugh
Quote Reply
MAybe I*'ll try and have a look at it sometime in the future - just need to find some time! lol

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk