Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

700.000 links -> dynamic timeouts

Quote Reply
700.000 links -> dynamic timeouts
Hi,
as I've seen here are quite a few people running LinksSQL with a huge number of links.
Maybe someone has an idea how to solve my problem (except of moving to a bigger server):

I've a problem with the dynamic working of a LinksSQL 2.2.0 -installation with currently >700.000 links.

page.cgi and search.cgi do only produce timeouts.

"My" data:
==========
  • LinksSQL 2.2.0
  • Indexing-Scheme: MYSQL
  • > 700.000 links
  • Dedicated Server
  • 1,7 GHz PIII
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
  • Red-Hat/Linux
  • mod_perl/1.26

Any ideas how to speed the dynamic mode up? At the moment it takes ages to display a single page or do a search (if it works -> else-> timeout)

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Aug 25, 2004, 3:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] 700.000 links -> dynamic timeouts In reply to
The best way I've found to combat speed problems, are;

1) Make sure you have INTERNAL INDEXING turned on. It takes a while to run the re-index command ... but its worth it in the long run (in terms of how quite search results are).

2) Be sure that you've deleted any large old files, or unused. If you have 1Gb worth of unused stuff on the site... that can cause quite a slowdown (obviously the more on the server, the slower it will go... thus the same as a PC).

3) Check that in Setup > Misc. Options, that "debug" is turned OFF. Sometimes when this is left on, it is enough to overload the log files (as it logs ever action to the error_log).

Other than that... I'm not sure what else you can do Unimpressed

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] 700.000 links -> dynamic timeouts In reply to
Thanks, Andy for your reply.

1.) With INTERNAL INDEXING it's still the same.
I had that Indexing from the beginning and changed it yesterday to MYSQL for I'd read here in the forum that
this should be much better for large databases.

2.) There's not really any unused stuff on the server.

3.) Of course "debug" is turned OFF

So thanks for your reply but it wasn't great help so far.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
... another strange thing I've detected is that if I do a keyword-search in the admin (Database->Links->Search) the results are display within seconds. If I search for the same keyword via search.cgi it lasts minutes or I get a timeout.

Shouldn't this be as quick as in admin?

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
Wow - I did a new(Update) LinksSQL isnatllation, changed the driver again (INTERNAL) did a reindex and now it works like charm!

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Aug 27, 2004, 3:39 AM