Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Newsletter
I must be missing something, but I'm wondering how to work the newsletter feature properly. From what I understand, the purpose of this is to send out emails of new links in the subscribed categories. A few questions:

1. I assume this is a manual process and not automated?
2. When I go to EMAIL > NEWSLETTER and try to send an email, I just get the text I add into the message box, and no links.

I guess I'm wondering how this all works?

Sorry for the ignorance!
Quote Reply
Re: [Jobu] Newsletter In reply to
Anyone?
Quote Reply
1) Yes, it's a manual process.
2) Only links in the category which are isNew will be added to the list of links, so if you don't have any new links in the category, there won't be any links.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Newsletter In reply to
In Reply To:
1) Yes, it's a manual process.
2) Only links in the category which are isNew will be added to the list of links, so if you don't have any new links in the category, there won't be any links.

Cool.

I have reviewed past threads about this from some time ago, and I was wondering if anything has changed in terms of automation. With a number of categories, it seems to me that it would be very time-consuming to have to scroll to the proper (sub)category among the newsletter and then send off manual e-mails (weekly or daily, whatever).

Is there a relatively easy way to modify the newsletter to be automated, so that every day or week an enail is sent out:

"Hello, Following are the list of links added to <category> in the last <day or week>"

I suppose with a large directory the only alternative, from an efficiency standpoint, is to have one global newsletter and just have New Links sent out to everyone (from every category).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Anyone?
Quote Reply
Hi,

This is possible. You can put the below code into categor.html template and create a global.

<%if user.Username eq 'admin'%>
<%send_newsleter%>
<%endif%>

Here is the global

sub {
my $tags = GT::Templates->tags;
my $links = $tags->{links_loop};
my $time = time;
foreach(@$links){
my $diff = ($time-$_->{Timestmp})/86400;
next if($diff>7);
Links::send_email('newsletter.eml',$_);
}

}

You can create a template called newsleter.eml somthing like link_add.eml.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] Newsletter In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

This is possible. You can put the below code into categor.html template and create a global.

<%if user.Username eq 'admin'%>
<%send_newsleter%>
<%endif%>

Here is the global

sub {
my $tags = GT::Templates->tags;
my $links = $tags->{links_loop};
my $time = time;
foreach(@$links){
my $diff = ($time-$_->{Timestmp})/86400;
next if($diff>7);
Links::send_email('newsletter.eml',$_);
}

}

You can create a template called newsleter.eml somthing like link_add.eml.

Cheers,

Thanks, tandat. So let me get this straight -- this will run automatically once per week (what day?) with the last 7 days' new links in each category to subscribers to each relevant category?
Quote Reply
This will send when admin view a specific category. The you want email to send automatically, we need an alternative approach. That need more codes and cronjob to trigger the send email.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Blog
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This will send when admin view a specific category. The you want email to send automatically, we need an alternative approach. That need more codes and cronjob to trigger the send email.

Cheers,

I would prefer the cronjob be set-up to run weekly. We have hundreds of categories, and so I won't be browsing to them all on a weekly basis.

How difficult would that be?
Quote Reply
anyone have any ideas?
Quote Reply
Hi,

The code for this function is not much but to get the whole thing to work together, we need to create a plugin to manage the code, template and the cron-job. If you can pay for this with a small amount, please pm me, then I can create that plugin for this functions.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Dat

Blog
Quote Reply
Hi Dat,

Please e-mail me with a quote and your proposed functionality - adam at wiredbiz.com