Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

isNew and isChanged

Quote Reply
isNew and isChanged
Hi,

I was just wondering whether it was my misunderstanding, but when a link that has an isNew status is modified does it lose the isNew status and is only considered isChanged ?

Or have I done something wrong in the way I coded my templates ?

I have a new link that I modified and that subsequently lost the isNew status. When I ran a repair tables it got the isNew status back and no longer had the isChanged status !

I don't quite grasp the logic behind these two status being mutually exclusive, so I was wondering whether someone savvy could explain ?

Cheers, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] isNew and isChanged In reply to
In "my" opinion.

New is does not mean changed, but changed always mean new (compared to before).

Also, it would not make sense to have both "new" & "changed" labels next to a listing, but in a way I agree with you about the issue when the time frame from addition and change is very close. But in that case, I believe "new" being changed to "updated/changed" is more appropriate then keeping it new.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] isNew and isChanged In reply to
Quote:
but changed always mean new

I don't see it like that. The reason for having both isChanged and isNew is because they are two different things. Changing something doesn't make it new.

If you owned a car and put some new alloy wheels on it, does that make the car new?
Quote Reply
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree with you. I think that the different ways we use Links may be the origin of our difference of opinion.

isNew is defined in the admin area by default as 7 days I think. So during those 7 days any modifications will strip it of it's isNew status and anybody that has globals that look for links that are down as being new will not find a link if it is has been modified.

If an article was published at ten o'clock on Monday and then is changed at five past ten on Monday is it no longer new at ten past ten ? I use Links for articles not links and it is interesting for me to see if a new article has undergone modifications. Without the two status appearing I cannot provide that possibility to myself and other readers. I like to make things as simple as possible and never expect people to figure things out for themselves.
I think New is always based on some type of time scale. In software, a modified version would get a new version number say from 1.0 you would move to 1.1 And I think that this is most probably the way you are looking at it since you consider isChanged to automatically ring as new in peoples minds...
From one language or culture to another, words may also impact people in different ways; some words bring subtlety to a situation. There are also some issues on what is considered to be a change.

Quote:
New is does not mean changed, but changed always mean new (compared to before).
Changed always means New ??? If you change a link from one category to another the link is new ?? How does that work, there would be no change in the content ?

Basically a system like Links needs to provide functionality for different cases and ways of using Links, restricting the way it can be used and evolve is not a good idea in my opinion. Although I can see that the way you use it fits your needs, it doesn't mean that everybody uses it the same way. In this sense I feel that you should not be so adamant in your statements about how other people use the software.
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Hargreaves] isNew and isChanged In reply to
Hi Hargeaves nice example, are you a car fan like Andy ? LOL Wink

As I said above it may also be to do with the way Links is used so I suppose depending on how much is changed in an element can refine the definition of New.

In France there are companies that import products that are basically ready to sell. They then say it was made in France because of the added value in a modification process that took place in France. This due to the fact that it cost so little to make abroad and adding two buttons to a shirt say costs twice as much as what it cost to make the shirt abroad !

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] isNew and isChanged In reply to
I totally agree with you and hence in my post I mentioned that it was "my" opinion, and yes many a times by speaking my opinion I have learned that I was far from 100% correct, but I find that to be a good way to learn from experts such as you & others.

In addition, I also agree with your statement about changed and new links. So I believe we have discovered a gray area, and now it would be wonderful to make a suggestion to GT team on what would be a possible solution in your mind. So how do you propose this problem should be resolved? should the listing be not changed to "updated" if it is updated within x number of days during which the listing is considered new (as specified by admin in setup options) or something else?

Again thank you for noticing this issue, as I am sure it will help many GLinks users on their website.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Hi,

Well I hope that GT can shed some light on how the two status are used and whether it is possible to have them working together.

However I must say that the isNew tag to me working based upon the values that admins provide in the set-up area seems logical and then isChanged should be applied if a link is modified. The fact that isChanged seems to annul the isNew status is where I disagree or there should be an option to manage this effect : isChanged replaces isNew status or isChanged is applied separately and doesn't affect isNew...

John
Significant Media