Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Quote Reply
Hi,

Im using Glinks 3.2 and Community.
My users do not subit links, they get to post opinions and other stuff...
Id like to use a user image alogng with the posts. Anyone doing it?
Ive searched the forums and only found 1 option plugin for quite a bit of money ($500) that does a bunch of other things I dont want.

So basicly I want the user to optionally upload their image using community, so that their pic shows anywhere they have interacted with the site.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] Avatar or User Image In reply to
Hi,

Could be done with a new field, and a global I would have thought.

..in GComm admin:

Database > Profile Fields > Add a Field

Colmn Name: AvatarImage
Column Type: CHAR
Column Size: 255

Field type: FILE

..then use a global to get them in GLinks

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Avatar or User Image In reply to
Mmm.. actually - doesn't look like it works with FILE types in GComm :/ (just checked on my install)

Could probably done with some clever tweaks, and upload the images into the glinks_Users table - and then edit GComm, so when they update their profile - it updates it in GLinks, ready to be used. I've had a few beers tonight though - so wouldn't wanna start looking at anything in too much depth - not to mention it being almost midnight here now =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ok, I understand what youre saying, but perhaps could help (tomorrow) on how to do it. :)

Thanks,

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Mmm taqking a look now - I should be charging really as its not prooving easy :(

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Mmm..I give up :(

If GComm had a "FILE" type for the profile fields - then it would be a piece of cake - but I've tried everything I can think of, by adding new fields to GLinks, then updating /lib/Apss/LinksSQL.pm - and none of it will even update the field with text - let alone the FILE.

I think you're gonna have to just wait , and see if GT add this functionality into the GComm script - as I've spent over an hour on it - and can't be bothered to spend any more - as I'm doing this as a freebieFrown (even if I was being paid, I'm not sure it would be possible :/)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
BTW, one thing you could do - is try using my User_Edit_Profile (which I believe you already own).

Then on the GComm page, just link them to a customized version of profile.cgi (i.e only show them the ProfileImage field, and not all the other stuff)

Then, shouldn't be too hard to get the image showing up on your GLinks pages.

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, thanks andy, Ill give it a shot.

I would have thought GT would have included this or something similar by now since its part of the "new 2.0 wave"... but oh well...

JC
Quote Reply
Yeah, would sure be nice to have in the version 2.x of Community - but in 1.1.1 (which I believe is the latest), it doesn't have a FILE option for fields :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk