Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

User's Session Length

Quote Reply
User's Session Length
Ok, another quick question.. this time about the Users session length. It's set to 3 hours by default but I was wondering if I could set this to a much greater period -- say, monthly. Would the script have a problem if I was to set the session length to 672 hours (24x7x4)?

Kind regards
Amanda

Last edited by:

Evoken: Jul 5, 2002, 8:00 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] User's Session Length In reply to
Have you tried it?

I believe this should work - perhaps someone could clairfy. I also beleive you can set lengths under an hour like 0.5 for half an hour.

For such lengthy session times, maybe using sessions as times is not the answer... perhaps some kind of cookie maybe.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] User's Session Length In reply to
I thought the session length was being stored into a cookie?
Quote Reply
Cookie or by URL, I believe... true.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi

I have had it set on 1500 with no problem..

cookies are enabled and pending that the user does not clear the cookies..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] User's Session Length In reply to
Awesome, thankyou very much.. I've got mine setup using cookies, and I'll change the length to 1500, that sounds good. Thankyou all very much!
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] User's Session Length In reply to
I've just realised that I didn't quite have a full understanding on cookies (I still don't), but the cookies being set by Links SQL are session cookies and not permanent cookies? I'm guessing this may be the case after setting the length to 1500, I'm still being asked to login a few hours later if I haven't been browsing the site.

If they are just session cookies, is there an easy way to modify the script to set a permanent cookie instead?

I'm probably asking this question in the wrong forum as I'm using the dynamic PHP front-end to power my site.

Regards,
Amanda