Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

detailed pages span multiple pages?

Quote Reply
detailed pages span multiple pages?
I'd like to avoid having my articles be super long (using LSQL2.1 and detailed pages) and would love to have the system make the article span multiple pages.

Is this possible? if so, how would one do this?
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] detailed pages span multiple pages? In reply to
Use regular expressions to determine a "global" length that you want to print on each screen, then span the results after that...for a technical answer, don't have one, since I am not using v2.1.0, but the logic would apply.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Can anyone explain a step by step approach (I hav no idea what Heckler meant). Too techy for me. Crazy

Last edited by:

Evoir: Apr 5, 2002, 11:40 AM
Quote Reply
Really?

What didn't you understand?

Here are some easy logical steps (not technical ones)

1) Determine an appropriate "LENGTH" of characters (you do know what characters are and what length is, don't you?).

2) Then you would create a global tag/variable (you have created globals before, correct? OR how have you modified your version of Links SQL?) that would determine that length of characters.

3) Then you would edit the detailed script, or sub in the page.cgi, oh forgot, you don't want to use dynamic mode, I mean the detailed sub in the build script, that would build spanning pages similar to the spanning category pages.

Too Detailed? Too Technical For Ya? Tongue

Sorry...best of luck!
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
So, I'd create a global that would then cut off my artcile at a certain length? I don't know how to create a global. I hav used gloabls that others have written for me (thank you all) but not made my own.

Also, I hav a global that i use for the articles already that make urls hot and use bb tags to format the text.

I guess I am asking if someone would be so kind as to write the global, I'd be really thankful. I also already am using a global to make bold and italics text within the articles. Would I just add to that global?

Someone already have a global they use for this?
Quote Reply
Just bumping this one up. I suppose this sould go in the globals section, as a global request. Anyone interested in writing a global that would do this?