Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links moving

Quote Reply
Links moving
Sorry I repeat the post - first done in wrong place.

A question - is it possible to move links not one-by-one from one category to another?

Thanks!

Gabriel.
Quote Reply
Re: [sgabriel] Links moving In reply to
Are you intending to move all the links in a category, or just a selection of them? If you want to move all in that category, simply run an UPDATE command in MySQLMan ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] Links moving In reply to
sgabriel, you are right!
Currently there is not possible to move many selected links from a category to another category...
This feature is one of those on my wishlist.

Alex, Staff, do you plan implementing this?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks, Gabriel.
Quote Reply
Well, if you are moving the contents of ALL a categories links (not including sub cats), then you could use something like;

UPDATE links_CatLinks SET CategoryID = 'new_id_number_for_category' WHERE CategoryID = 'old_cat_id_number'

so, an actual example would be moving all the links from category 1, into category 6. You could use;

UPDATE links_CatLinks SET CategoryID = '6' WHERE CategoryID = '1'

Hope that helps (not exactly sure on the format of the SQL query though. If anyone knows the format i wrong, I don't mind you pointing it out ;)

Obviously you change the links_ part in the query to whatever your prefix is for your Links SQL tables.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy.

This referes to subcategories alslo?

Gabriel.
Quote Reply
No, just the links in the category ID you are refering too. NOT SUB CATEGORIES or their links Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
You can use the category browser to move whole categories to another.
Quote Reply
Gm... then how to move sub-category links Crazy?

Gabriel.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Links moving In reply to
But you can not move multiple selected links to other category.
That was the original question.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Links moving In reply to
I am currently using SQL queries to do this, as I move 1000+ links per category often, and don't wish to move the actual category, just the links within it.

I would really, really like to see multiple link selection for move and delete in a future update for LSQL, if it is at all possible.

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Links moving In reply to
I posted a suggestion related to move categories & links.
My suggestion also makes possible to move links separately, as you suggested in your previous post. Check it out:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=189660#189660

Alex liked the suggestion, so it is likely, it will be implemented in future version of Links SQL.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Thanks, I am starting to repeat myself.. sorry about that... how do these guys with 10,000 + posts remember what they have said or not!? I honestly have a look thorugh the posts farily thoughouly, but I still forget!

Anyways, I am glad this suggestion was well receivedWink
Quote Reply
Personally I don't have 10.000+ posts Smile, but thanks for your words.

You can also keep track the most important threads, if you click the "Watch thread" button (is is like a bookmark feature). This way you know which threads was the most important threads ever.

I'm glad that you are glad Cool

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hmmmm, I was actually wondering what that feature did, but a little embarrased to ask!Tongue

Thanks.
Quote Reply
hello,

Cool ideas will be suggested here, but the suggestion is very specifuc.

The best solution is creating an additional script that will handle your extra queries without editing current modules.

I am working on such scripts that will add, modify, delete, move multiple records.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Links moving In reply to
Hi ridesworld,

I am wondering if you have come up with anything on multiple moving yet?

And a question for Alex/staff, do you think multiple link moving will likely be added to Links?
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Links moving In reply to
Thanks Andy for the SQL, and this is certainly useful.

One prob is if 300 links are for one category and 300 are for another.... I still think it would be nice to see a multiple selection and move (and perhaps copy delete as well).
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Links moving In reply to
When using the UPDATE lsql_CatLinks SET CategoryID = 'new_id_number_for_category' WHERE CategoryID = 'old_cat_id_number' statement to move links from one category to another the following problem occurs:
  • The browser does not show you the number of links in either category; rather it returns zero links the new directory and still the same value for the old
  • After repairing tables and re-building, the static html pages still show the new category as having zero links, even the the new links are in fact in there.

Can someone tell me how to correct the number of links in the category tables, and how I could use this statement to move links and not upset the category counts?

Perhaps a two sql statement process to move links:
  1. The statement above; followed by
  2. UPDATE lsql_Category SET Number_of_Links....... not sure how to do this one

I am assuming the Number_of_Links field in lsql_Category needs to be altered for each Category somehow when the move is done.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 29, 2002, 5:26 PM