Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

internal Server Errors for all gossamer scripts

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
internal Server Errors for all gossamer scripts
We're getting internal server errors for all our gossamer scripts. They use to work just fine. And other scripts are not getting the errors. Any idea how to troubleshoot this strictly with Gossamer Threads scripts, consider our other scripts do not have this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [aimcmc] internal Server Errors for all gossamer scripts In reply to
I got an answer. My host just upgraded their OS, and along with that came a new version of Perl. It appears that our GossamerThreads Scripts are not compatible with this version of Perl. We've got (well had) 3 different Links sites running (was running). My guess is that Gossamer isn't going to be upgrading the scripts anytime soon, if ever. Guess it's time to retire these script and move on. If anyone knows anything about the compatibility of the Gossamer scripts with various versions of Perl, I'm interested in hearing. My wish is that we can continue to move forward. Oh well, guess these things can't last forever. Anyone know anything?
Quote Reply

Question: Are you sure it was perl version & not just the perl path?

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Also, if Andy or someone else can confirm that there is an issue with Perl Upgrade, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Vishal
Quote Reply
aimcmc wrote:
I got an answer. My host just upgraded their OS, and along with that came a new version of Perl. It appears that our GossamerThreads Scripts are not compatible with this version of Perl. We've got (well had) 3 different Links sites running (was running). My guess is that Gossamer isn't going to be upgrading the scripts anytime soon, if ever. Guess it's time to retire these script and move on. If anyone knows anything about the compatibility of the Gossamer scripts with various versions of Perl, I'm interested in hearing. My wish is that we can continue to move forward. Oh well, guess these things can't last forever. Anyone know anything?
Actually, they work fine on the latest version of Perl. You just have to update the modules. In the attached script, decompress it and then upload to your /admin folder (be sure to backup your old directories as well). Also make sure to copy your live /admin/Links/Config/Data.pm into the new folder

Hope that helps

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] internal Server Errors for all gossamer scripts In reply to
Well this is most encouraging. I've downloaded and will try this out sometime today. Is there some place FAQ or Knowledge base that describes this? Is there some place that other scripts that we have are updated? I most appreciate your reply and look forward checking it out. I'll feedback when I know more. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Hi,

The bulk of the problem with moving to later versions of Perl, is that the "defined" option when from being a warning, to being a fatal error message. So that's most likely why it won't run. I had to spend a lot of times getting the modules right, but the attached (in my last post) work fine for me on the latest version of Perl Angelic . It's pretty much just a case of renaming:
Code:
/admin/Links => /admin/Links.bak
/admin/GT => /admin/GT.bak
/admin/Links.pm => /admin/Links.pm.bak
/admin/bases.pm => /admin/bases.pm.bak

Then upload the new files to your server. and copy /admin/Links.pm.bak/Config/Data.pm to /admin/Links.pm/Config/Data.pm , and you should be good to go.

FWIW, this is designed to work on GLinks 3.1.0+ (the later the better) , but may work on older versions like 3.0.4

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thank you for the further update. I've had others tell me about Define being deprecated. From what you said, looks like they were right. I think I purchased something from you before. I revisited your website. I'm happy to see you are still hanging around. When I find time, I'll look into what you have to offer further. Thank you. I'm anxious to try this out.
Quote Reply
Worked like a charm. The upgrade went flawlessly for our version 3.3.0. Thank you Andy.

Found one little typo in your instructions...

/admin/Links.pm.bak/Config/Data.pm to /admin/Links.pm/Config/Data.pm

should be

/admin/Links.bak/Config/Data.pm to /admin/Links/Config/Data.pm

I really do appreciate this.

I'm curious, is GossamerThreads supporting and selling their scripts? I couldn't find anything on their site. I'm a bit confused.

Thank You.

Ron
Quote Reply
Glad to hear it :)

As far as I'm aware they are not selling or supporting it any more. They have moved to Carbon60, and the scripts were not part of that move. I'm in talks with them about my hosting the forum for them, so we can have it for longevity for those who use the GT scripts still

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
I'm in talks with them about my hosting the forum for them, so we can have it for longevity for those who use the GT scripts still Cheers

Since they will never update the script again. It would be nice if they just gave you the rights to it. When I get a new server setup in a year because of CentOS Linux ending I'm not looking forward to getting all those fresh install errors.
Quote Reply
Re: [shimmy1] internal Server Errors for all gossamer scripts In reply to
Hi,

It would be nice - but I can't see it happening :) If you do need the new versions, I have modified install.cgi/.dat files, which will let you install. You then just upload the other files like you did the other day, and you would have a new install (I use this method all the time on the latest versions of Perl)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I got an email from them requesting specific information about the scripts that I am having trouble with. I'm really not sure how they found out I was having problems, but they did ask for more exact details so they could look into it and help. It didn't appear they had any idea what my problem was. I replied to them that you (Andy) has taken care of it for me, and that you are a valuable asset for their organization. I've been around the block a few times and have seen so many great software apps die way too early. These scripts are excellent product that really deserve to be supported into many years ahead. If you were willing, and they had no plans for them, in my humble opinion, there doesn't appear to be any reason why they wouldn't negotiate with you to pass them on to you. They just are too damn good to go to waste. I'm not sure what I can do, but if there is anything I can say or do to help this along, I'd be happy to do whatever. -Ron
Quote Reply
I totally agree with you Ron.

It would be extremely helpful to keep this forum alive & if, for some sad reasons GT can't keep it open, it would be much appreciated if Andy was allowed to take control of it, so existing users of GT Products could continue discussing & helping each other.

Vishal
Quote Reply
I installed the upgrade, seemed like it all was working quite well. BUT... - we are still getting an Internal Server Error when users try to Add A Link (add.cgi?d=1).

Thoughts?

Ron
Quote Reply
The internal server that I was getting was because of web hosting issue & there was no error with GLinks.

What error message you getting? or can you just paste the add.cgi link to test?

Vishal
Quote Reply
Check your error logs. If you have SSH, you can also try running from the command line with:

Code:
perl add.cgi

That may give some clues

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] internal Server Errors for all gossamer scripts In reply to
After doing Andy's upgrade for Perl, all seemed to be working great, except now for this one issue.

http://www.illinois.citidirectory.net/cgi/linkssql/add.cgi

Everything else seem fine at http://www.illinois.citidirectory.net/

I hadn't made any changes to the site for a long time until we realized the Perl issue, and all was working fine before that.

This Internal Server error for the add.cgi is identical to the error we get on 2 other similar sites. It's consistent.

My first impression was that it was a similar Perl error, but guess not, I'll dig deeper and contact the host to see if they have any idea.

Thank you,

Ron
Quote Reply

Andy thanks. Since you haven't heard about this issue, (http://www.illinois.citidirectory.net/cgi/linkssql/add.cgi), it appears I am off base guessing it has anything to do with the Perl issue that you fixed. I'll have to start looking elsewhere. I'll reach back if I find more and need your further professional assistance. Thank you, Ron
Quote Reply
You could try adding this below the part to perl in add.cgi:

Code:
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);

See if that spits out any more helpful information

Also - I assume you have checked the path to perl is correct in add.cgi?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
First observation -- I compared add.cgi to user.cgi which works ok. I find that they are exactly identical, including ownership and permissions and perl path to each other except for these differences...

use Links::User::Add;

use Links::User::Login;

AND

if ($PLG->dispatch('check_request', \&Links::check_request)) {
$PLG->dispatch('handle_add', \&Links::User::Add::handle);

f ($PLG->dispatch('check_request', \&Links::check_request)) {
$PLG->dispatch('handle_login', \&Links::User::Login::handle);

NEXT - I added the use CGI:: Carp ... code you offered.

I get this

Software Error

Can't locate Unicode/MapUTF8.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Unicode::MapUTF8 module) (@INC contains: /home/aimcmc/illinois.citidirectory.net/cgi/linkssql/admin /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /home/aimcmc/illinois.citidirectory.net/cgi/linkssql/admin/Links/User/Add.pm line 212.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/aimcmc/illinois.citidirectory.net/cgi/linkssql/admin/Links/User/Add.pm line 212.
Compilation failed in require at add.cgi line 19.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at add.cgi line 19.

That's all gibberish to me. Any hint?

NEXT - I'm thinking that maybe my add.cgi is corrupt. Andy, could you send me a known working add.cgi that I could try?

Not sure what else to do.

Ron

Quote Reply
It doesn't appear the add.cgi is corrupt.

Since add.cgi and user.cgi are identical, I swapped the 2 lines that differ. I find that when the user code is swapped to the add code, the add.cgi does NOT error. But by swapping the 2 lines code from the add.cgi to the user.cgi, then the user.cgi gets the Internal server error. Swapping them back, cause the add.cgi to error and user.cgi to be ok again.

So, it seems the add.cgi is not corrupt and it must be something else that is causing the add to error.

Where to look next? Any ideas?

Ron
Quote Reply
Ah so thats an easy fix =) You just need to install Unicode::MapUTF8 (or ask your host, if you can't do it)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
So, am I reading this right that the reason folks can not add links and are getting the Internal Server Error is because Unicode::MapUTF8 is necessary?

What does that do?

And, may I ask, can we guess how come this has been working all along until recently when Perl was upgraded? And how come everything else works except the add link script?

I'd like to understand a little better what the problem is before contacting the host.

Thank you,

Ron
Quote Reply
It's probably not required. I think if you are using the modules I uploaded, then I had it in there for utf8 (particularly when doing AJAX form submissions). You could probably get rid of it, but its just as easy to add it ;)

Also when you upgrade Perl ALL the previous modules are lost (as it holds them in folders split by version numbers)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >