Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Search Results Problem

Quote Reply
Search Results Problem
I'm having problems with my search results and I'm not sure why.

If I do a search for davis automotive then I get 4 results before the site that is actuall named davis automotive.

davis automotive is the title and the url www.davisautomotive.com . It is in the description and keyword field also. I have search weight set the highest for both title and url.

The other results just have this name in the description once or sometimes just part of it like davis yet they are showing up first.

This happens with alot of the search terms used. Any ideas on this?

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] Search Results Problem In reply to
What do you have the 'search_sort_order' set to in Setup > Build Options ? Does it say 'score' ?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Search Results Problem In reply to
The URL won't count for anything as 'davisautomotive' will be indexed as one word, not two.

When I was fiddling around with the search side of Links SQL I had it setup to display the score value next to each entry in the search results. It made it a lot easier to check each entry and add up where the points were coming from. I've forgotten how though now Unsure.

In your situation they could all be the same point score and then ranked by name in ascending order, hence the perception of a poor search result.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Search Results Problem In reply to
Hi Andy,

Yes it's still set to score. This is a very frustrating problem.

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] Search Results Problem In reply to
Are you definitely using internal indexing?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Search Results Problem In reply to
It's amazing how sometimes I try so hard to figure something out and I think it's just impossible and then along comes the most obvious of answers.

I was using NON Indexed. I switched to Indexed and guess what? Problem solved.

If it weren't for you two I'd be lost!!!

Thanks,

Craven