Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks...

Quote Reply
Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks...
Hi there ^_^

I am trying to design a mobile application that can interact with GLinks. The issue I am facing is the User authentication. I have absolutely no idea as to how this should be done, or even if it can be done.

Would it be a better idea to write a plugin that can handle these specific requests from the application? If so, is there a way to login a user using the credentials that the user send with the querystring to the plugin?(If that is even how it should be done...)

Either way, I think the results of this project could really get interesting... just imagine it... GLinks goes mobile Smile We could take over the world ^_^

Anyway, I hope there is some-one that might discuss with me on how I should approach this situation.

Thank you

Sacrifice is not about what you lose,
it is about what you gain in the process.
Quote Reply
Re: [EZFrag] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
Hi,

If the mobile supports cookies (AFAIK, most phones with WAP do support cookies), there's no reason it wouldn't work. The hardest bit, woudl be working out if the persons on a mobile, and processing the content accordingly (i.e for those on more basic phones, you would want a simpler design, less images etc)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
Hey Andy Smile,

By application I meant a small program physically sitting on the mobile phone, like Oprah Mini or Mxit, not a web application. Sorry for the confusion.
At the end of the day, that program would communicate with servers running GLinks, pulling links, browsing categories, making comments... perfect for when you are marooned in the middle of nowhere ^_^ with a GPRS connection...

Quote Reply
Re: [EZFrag] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
Ah ok - afraid I can't help you there then :D

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
As far as I'm aware you'd just POST the login info to the GLinks login script. Shouldn't that work?
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
hmmm.... Well that does make sense. I really hope it is that easy. It will save a lot session id checking. thanks.

Quote Reply
I'm afraid it's not that easy, you still have to deal with cookies after posting the login information, otherwise user session will be lost!

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Try having a look on http://www.codeproject.com .....you may find some info there.
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
Ah, great! w00t Got it ^_^. I browsed through a couple of *.pm files, until I came to the community.pm file, from Gossamer-Community (or rather, Alex suggested I look at it). That file has got quite a bit of nice functions in it, that includes user authentication, session cleanups and... I cant remember the rest. but this will do nicely. perfect! ^_^

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it comes along.

Quote Reply
Yeah i'm interested on your project actually, I'm think for same thing from a long time, mobile is the feature Wink

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
Definitely interested in your project w00t keep us up to date on the development.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
The scope has been set up and now we are just waiting for someone... erm... smart enough to bid on the project Whistle

Quote Reply
The development of the application is almost complete. We have decided to outsource the application's development. The company has been at it for a while and they assured us that they will have it done in time. As for the functionality, we have decided to keep it simple. Data can be requested via the application through a "GLinks API" that was created for this purpose. As for logging in and sessions, we have dropped that from the application for now, since there isn't any special features for a logged-in user (yet).

Now all we are waiting for is the company to finish it up, and then the application will be released.

Quote Reply
Hi There,

I have another update, for those that are interested. In August we pulled the plug on the outsourcing... They just took too long. We decided to do it ourselves. And voila Laugh

We are launching the application within a estimate of 3 weeks time.

Get your iPhones ready !!! w00t

Quote Reply
Hi guys,

Finally, it is released Laugh

Here is a link to some information about this project:

http://www.divetime.com/iphone/

Unfortunately, it isn't integrated into GLinks as much as I hoped, but that will probably come around in future versions.

Quote Reply
Looks pretty cool! Smile

Quote:
Unfortunately, it isn't integrated into GLinks as much as I hoped, but that will probably come around in future versions.

Does it query your glinks database for the locations or does the data come from another database?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Creating a mobile application to interact with GLinks... In reply to
Hi there,

It queries the GLinks database indirectly. There is a script that handles the requests and results.
It is vulnerable to data farming, but we are monitoring the requests. As soon as something fishy is going on, we will implement a counter Cool