Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Core.some_number files

Quote Reply
Core.some_number files
Recently I've noticed many of core.some_number files in my root cgi-bin GLinks folder. Every file is about 18MB large or larger. Sys admin told me that it's because php script got run of memory but GLinks isn't php script so don't know why it's there.

Any idea? Crazy

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [DeadMan] Core.some_number files In reply to
Hi,

Please take a look at the file, what does it say? (send over FTP access, and I'll take a look for you otherwise - not sure how powerful your PC is to read a large file like that :))

Normally - that is caused by mySQL dying - so it gives debug info. Coudl you an excessive script being run, and dying.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Core.some_number files In reply to
Ok. I've just deleted them because they took too much of my disk space but as soon one is generated, I'll PM you ftp access.

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Ok Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
Please take a look at the file, what does it say?

Are you expecting to open an 18MB core dump file and see something like "Error: System low on memory" ? Tongue

You are going to have no idea what the content of the core dump means. It contains an image of the terminated processes memory. Can you read binary?

Quote:
Normally - that is caused by mySQL dying

Core dump files can be generated by many many things. They aren't "normally" MySQL at all. MySQL has it's own error file.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Jul 24, 2008, 2:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] Core.some_number files In reply to
Well, I wasn't aware of that - I'm just remembering back to something someone else told me, when I had those core.xx files on one of my sites, a good 4 or 5 years ago Tongue

In that case - guess there are 2 options:

1) (the easiest :P) - run a cronjob that will remove the core.* files
2) Try a fugure out why these dump files are being made =) (not so easy, as Wychwood said - it can be quite a few things that make these dump files)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Damn. I've just have few of them with 15MB each. Well, will try to setup cron job then. Thanks, anyway. Unsure

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Not sure off hand if this can be done with a simple one-liner - but you could do with a cronjob, on a .sh file:

delete_core.sh

Code:
cd /path/to/admin
rm -f core.*

..then upload that file into your admin folder.

Then, setup a cronjob with:

Code:
0 * * * * sh /path/to/admin/delete_core.sh

You *MAY* be able to do it just via a one-liner cronjob too (not tested this, but I seem to recall you can do more than one command per cronjob)

Code:
0 * * * * cd path/to/admin/; rm -f core.*

As always though - MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP - you can never be too careful when using the delete commands =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Try checking the running processes from the command line - see if anything looks like it's using up resources.