Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Building categories

Quote Reply
Building categories
Hi,

When I add a category to Links SQL (egg for example) it creates a new sub folder called egg and inside the new folder creates the index page.

Thats good and how I actually want it to be but does it doesn't work in reverse i.e I create a folder called egg and insert a index page and I was hoping the category would display.

Am I wasting my time trying or can this work you? see I already have my category folders created and creating them again inside the program is a bit longwinded, not impossible but just longwinded.

kind rgds

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] Building categories In reply to
I don't quite see your logic :-/

nph-build.cgi (Build All/Staggered/Changed etc) actually does the building of the pages. Without running this, no pages are going to be built (obviously).

Hope that clears things up.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Building categories In reply to
Hi Andy,

My logic is that I already have the directories available that I want to use as categories. These directories contain files and sub folders for various bits and pieces. Not worried about a new index.html page being made but I don't fancy sending it off on a build all and finding that my folders (the categories) have been overwritten.

My option at the moment seems to be backup all folders, within links create each category (which creates a folder identical to ones that already exists so probably an overwrite, I am using static build BTW) and then upload the info back into the folders. I just sort of hoped it would pick them up and as I get to grips with it a new index page can follow.

rgds

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] Building categories In reply to
Backing up is a good idea - but I don't think that building will overwrite anything except the index.html and more2.html etc files. If you have other files in the directories already they should be untouched by the build process.