Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

accessing links.css from another webpage

Quote Reply
accessing links.css from another webpage
I am setting up a directory that requires a membership, thus the "pages" folder is protected with .htaccess.

I have also passworded the "admin" folder with .htaccess, so I can prevent others from accessing the administration features and messing it up.

The sales page, however, will not be passworded, but I want to be able to display the number of links in the directory, or for that matter, in each category, on that page, and have it update automatically as the links are added or deleted. [to assist in the marketing]

I think I have to access the links.css file from the unprotected folder, but when I tried to put the links.css file outside the protected area, but couldn't get it to update, nor could I get any information to be displayed on the unprotected webpage. Also, the "home.html" seems to require different coding than the other templates.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [bcramer] accessing links.css from another webpage In reply to
Move or copy the link.css file to an unprotected directory

and then edit the include_common_head.html template to reflect the new path to the links.css file.
Quote Reply
Hi Alba;

Thanks for responding.

However, I"m using Links 2, and it doesn't seem to have a include_common_head.html file.

Bryan
Quote Reply
In that case- and if I remember correctly, the .css file URL is in either the globals or language files.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] accessing links.css from another webpage In reply to
Hi;

Thanks, but that doesn't do me much good. I'm only a novice at CGI, so I need a much clearer method of achieving this.

Have a great day, and thanks again for trying to assist, I appreciate it.

Bryan
Quote Reply
Hi Bryan,

I think Alba has suggested you the best solution for this. You will find the CSS page for templates as below:
  1. Login to GLinks Admin
  2. Click on Setup from Top Horizontal Link menu
  3. Now click on Paths and URLs in the left menu
  4. On this page, the last option is "Update Others" just above the option you will notice a link, that reads "Click here", click on that link and option is "build_css_url" this is where you can input the CSS url for GLinks Templates.

I hope this helps.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] accessing links.css from another webpage In reply to
Thanks Vishal;

I'll give it a try and let you know. I appreciate the input.

Cheers.
Bryan
Quote Reply
Hi Vishal;

I'm using Links 2, and it doesn't have "setup" in the horizontal menu. It has to be set up manually via the links.cfg file I believe.

Thanks
Quote Reply
If you are using version 2.x, then follow all the steps as above, and once you have clicked on "click here" link as in step 4, read the complate page and look for "build_css_url" this is the url field where you type in path to CSS.

Hope this helps.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
I remember seeing links.cfg in Links 2 (not LinksSQl 2). If you are using Links2 (ie the Non SQL version) then you are in wrong forum.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Oh shoot.. sorry, I posted reply for the 2.x version of Links SQL and not Links.

Sorry I can't help with Links 2 as I have never used it.

P.S. If you can, then I would recommend you to upgrade to GLinks. It is worth every penny and more.

Vishal