Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Track downloads instead of hits?

Quote Reply
Track downloads instead of hits?
Hello, since we dont have a "Links" directory but use the product as a download system is there an easy way to change the system so that Hits are counted as the amount of times someone downloads the individual listings software?

The downloads are being called using jump.cgi which is the same as what would be called for the url links if we used them.

So for exampe one pages download link is this: /data/jump.cgi?ID=2&view=content

Thanks if you can help,
Quote Reply
Re: [kamidan] Track downloads instead of hits? In reply to
I suggest you look through all the available plugins because there are many that make useful plugins that adapt your GLinks installation for different purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Track downloads instead of hits? In reply to
Thanks, I've been looking at them.

Not to sound weird or rude in any way, but after putting out $450.00 then really the last thing I would like to do is to put out more $$ for a plugin to do something that would seem really simple to do, by purchasing a plugin that might do a whole lot more than I need it to do. Don't get me wrong, I believe in paying people for their work, but I dont want to buy a plugin that will do many many things that we wont be using just for when we want to change what appears to be a simple way that jump.cgi counts the hits from the url when we want to change it to count them from
jump.cgi?ID=2&view=content. I would have to assume that there would be a real easy edit to make the Links system count the jump.cgi from url to content. But I have not found it yet. I have bought some plugins that do what we needed, but at the time, we needed everything that the plugin does, not just part of it. I know, I know...... Bite the bullet and pay someone for a plugin that does more than what we need even if it does more than the one thing that we need.

Since our site is a not for profit site, it makes absolutely no money so there is no money coming in and I get no money from having the website, nor do I want to earn any money from it. It's only a gaming fan site and nothing more. So the original purchase price of Links came out of my own pocket, not anyone that uses the fan site that we have.

Anyway, I'll go look again and see if there are any plugins that just change how Links counts up the hits from the url to something like a column called content or download so that the jump.cgi will track something other than the url link.

Never the less, thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited by:

kamidan: Aug 20, 2006, 9:44 AM
Quote Reply
In my installation, I use "jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>&dl=URL"

I changed URL to a file column, so it contains only the file name and not the full URL. I'm pretty sure you can change the value of the "dl" parameter to any column you want.

If you want to see what's going on during the jump process, have a look at:

Links/User/Jump.pm

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Track downloads instead of hits? In reply to
Great idea Philip.

Thanks very much, I'll have a go at it since I dont use the url field to begin with.
Quote Reply
Philip,
What else did you have to do to get it to work for you?

I've changed the URL column to be a file column and on my add form I've changed my current content file upload to use the name URL and changed the download link to be
jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>&dl=URL

But it's not tracking it. It is downloading the content, but it's not tracking the hit to it.

I thought I had this working, but in reality, I left off the &dl=URL part to the link so it was tracking a hit to a DNS error page because of the URL wasn't really a URL at all. Once I put in the &dl=URL then it allows downloading of the file, but doesnt track it.

Thanks if you can help,

Last edited by:

kamidan: Aug 21, 2006, 8:55 AM
Quote Reply
Hm. I could have swore I had it working. And obviously it wasn't now that I look at Jump.pm again... I'll attach a plugin shortly to fix it.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Try this. It seems to be working okay for me.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Thank you,
That seems to work great and just what I needed. It is very much appreciated!

Kudos to you and yours,