Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Payment problems

Quote Reply
Payment problems
I've just been trying to help someone who had a subscription through paypal.

Their credit card had expired so the payment failed.
The subscription was then cancelled without retrying.
I sent them the link to sign up again but they got an error message saying that they were not authorised to modify the link.
Eventually the only way I could see to resolve this was to get them to sign up a new link and transfer everything across from the old link.

This was a real hassle both for them and me so I'd really like to find a way to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I've checked on the paypal form template that there is this line
<input type="hidden" name="sra" value="1">
which should mean that payments are reattempted - so why weren't they?

And I have no idea why there was an error message when trying to process the payment for the link. I checked this by changing the link owner to my username and I got the same error message. I've checked this for other links and they are fine - so I can't work out what the trigger is for the error.

Is anyone else using Paypal subscriptions?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Payment problems In reply to
Quote:
The subscription was then cancelled without retrying.
Paypal automatically cancelled the subscription?

Quote:
I sent them the link to sign up again but they got an error message saying that they were not authorised to modify the link.
If they login, they should be able to make a new payment to a link.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Payment problems In reply to
In Reply To:
Paypal automatically cancelled the subscription?[/quote]
It failed once and then was cancelled automatically. I know that the subscriber didn't do this because as soon as she got the cancellation email she replied to say that she didn't want to cancel and had updated her credit card details and please could I keep the subscription going - which I obviously couldn't.

In Reply To:
If they login, they should be able to make a new payment to a link.[/quote]
I realise this - I've tried it with test links and it works fine. But for some reason this link gave an error message - I'm going to spend a few days playing around with test links again to see whether I can replicate this.

Thanks for the reply.
Quote Reply
Just to clear this up.

From my investigations - as far as I can see this link wasn't actually added through the payment system. And I *think* this might have been due to the fact that when I re-upgraded to fix some bugs, the payment_enabled config variable was set back to 'No' and I didn't notice for a bit. So, I *think* that all is well and this shouldn't happen again.
Quote Reply
I notice you say

Quote:
she didn't want to cancel and had updated her credit card details

I recall taking out a subscription via PayPal but it was automatically cancelled because I changed my card details in my PayPal account. I took out the subscription again and it was accepted using the new card details.

Alba
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Payment problems In reply to
Oh, that's interesting - thanks for letting me know.