Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Strange sub-category bug?

Quote Reply
Strange sub-category bug?
I have completed my upgrade from SQL 1 to 2. I just realized that if you go into a category, then a sub category - then the previous categories sometimes show up as sub-sub categories. To see what I mean:

http://www.lessonplansearch.com/...ellaneous/index.html

Notice that 'Miscellaneous' is the sub-category of 'Printable Pages and Worksheets'. If you go to the url, you will see that "Printable Pages and Worksheets" is listed in the sub-categories (<%category%>) of Miscellaneous.

Anybody know why?

Chad J.

p.s. Sorry if this is a re-post. Lot of posts with 'category'

Quote Reply
Re: Strange sub-category bug? In reply to
By the way, this 'wierd' behavior is happening in several categories (a parent category is listed in the child categories)

Thanks again!

Quote Reply
Hi,

Check the Related Categories. Goto Browse in the admin, select Printable and then click on Related. It's most likely related to Misc for some reason.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I have been using SQL 1 for so long, that this gui is a little confusing to me. Could you tell me a couple of things?

1. In "printable pages and Worksheets/Intermediate 3-5/Writing" my 'related' categories are: (Printable... is located in this 'writing' sub-cat)
Printable Pages and Worksheets/High School 9-12
Printable Pages and Worksheets/Intermediate 3-5
Printable Pages and Worksheets/Middle School 6-8
Printable Pages and Worksheets/Primary K-2
Printable Pages and Worksheets/Intermediate 3-5/Writing

Do any of these seem out of place, or do you see what might be causing the behavior?

Also, my category page has <% category %> to populate the page with the categories. Where is this generated? Can I remove any code to just allow the subcats show up without the related (if that is the problem)?

Or can I just delete ALL related categories?

Thanks for the help!

Chad

Quote Reply
Hi,

Typically you don't want related categories related to categories in the same tree, but rather to other parts of your category tree. The one that seems out of place is you have a category related to itself (something Links SQL 2 should not allow you to do, but could happen during imports from older versions).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.