Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Send User Name & Password in Validate Email

Quote Reply
Send User Name & Password in Validate Email
Hi,

I would like to send users their user name and password in the email that gets sent to them when we validate their links. I tried using the following tags in the email-add.txt template:

User Name: <%Username%>
Password: <%Password%>

When the email gets sent it does include the user name, but it doesn't include the password (it's blank where the <%Password%> tag is placed).

I did the <%GT::Template::dump%> and it shows Password in the list, but the value as being blank (although there is a value for Password for that user in the user table. Does anyone know if there is any way to get the password to display on the email-add.txt template?

--Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [FrankM] Send User Name & Password in Validate Email In reply to
Hi Frank,

Supposedly you use LSQL 2.1.2 and GCommunity together... If not, the situation may be still similar..
You may check this thread, where Alex explained this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=231332

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Send User Name & Password in Validate Email In reply to
Thanks very much for your reply. I don't use Gcommunity. I did check out that thread, but I don't think it's relevant to my particular problem. It's really just a matter of getting the Password tag to display on the email template, and whether that's even possible...

--Frank
Quote Reply
Well, it may be also related, because LSQL also stores the passwords hashed (encrypted), so there is no possibility to recover a password once it was hashed, to display in validate email...
The first validate email usually contains the password, because it was email sent before the password was hashed, so can contain clear password.
I don't remember, if there is an admin option to choose not to encrypt password. If there is, then this could solve the solution, but not really recommended.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Quote:
LSQL also stores the passwords hashed (encrypted), so there is no possibility to recover a password once it was hashed

No, that is not true. Links SQL stores passwords as plain text.
Quote Reply
Thanks very much. Sorry, I didn't realize that the problem could be related as you noted. If anyone does know if there is a way to get the password to display in the validation email to the user after they add a link that would be great.

--Frank
Quote Reply
Sorry, my mistake.
I checked, and Paul is right, the passwords are not stored in encrypted form, and in the Admin setup is said: "Allow passwords to be emailed to users? user_allow_pass Yes | No"
Unfortunately I can not tell you more without looking into the code.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Thanks very much for your help. I finally found out that the problem was a dumb error on my part Crazy. I had a field called Password in my Links table that was empty, so it was reading that one, instead of the one from the Users table. When I removed the Password field from the Links table it would include the Password field from the User table correctly.

--Frank