Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

shifitng linkksql from one ip tp another

Quote Reply
shifitng linkksql from one ip tp another
Hello Forum,

I need your help in shifting my linksql application from one dns to another . I am not able to find proper doc that would guide me to shift my applicaiton from one ip to another .

Please help me .

Vinit
Quote Reply
Re: [vinit] shifitng linkksql from one ip tp another In reply to
Please read the forum descriptions befor posting! I've moved you thread into a more appropriate forum now.

Ok, Are you literally just changing IP address, or server/username?

That will vary what process you need to do to make a successful change over.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] shifitng linkksql from one ip tp another In reply to
Hello ,

Thanks for moving my query to more appropriate section.

Yes i am changing my server and hence i have a new ip too.When i checked the html pages created by link sql version 1.0 , i saw that all the links created are made by DNS name .

Presently i am cahnging my server hosting , but Dns will be the same .Hence i was not finding a solution to this problem where my ip and server gets changed but the DNS remains the same.

I hope for a solution and thanks for your help.

With warm regards

Vinit Sharma
Quote Reply
In that case, you need to update admin/Links/ConfigData.pm, and all the occurences of the paths in the .pm and .cgi files. Obviously you need to change the database details in /admin/defs/database.def too, and also transfer your database to the new server.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] shifitng linkksql from one ip tp another In reply to
Hi Andy ,

Greeting and wishes from vinit , it isme again and i need your help again . I have followed your steps and have successfully reached teh setup page. But i need to cahnge the mysql.soc place from ./var/tmp ----> /tmp/mysql.sock This is because the older machine i used was Mandrake 9.1 and now i have shifted the linkssql; to REDHAT 8.0 . And i am getting this error

Error: Could not connect to database. Reason: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I understand that this is mysql.sock error , hence i need your help to know in which page i have to make changes .

With warm regards,

Vinit Sharma
Quote Reply
Either means you don't have your 'host' setup correctly (should be 'localhost', or your new server may have a domain one.. such as mysql.host.com).

Either that, or MySQL is not running on your server. You can check this by typing something like;

ps aux

...in SSh/Telnet (only if you have a dedicated server, as I don't think it will show up if you don't have semi-admin privalidges.

Hope that helps Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] shifitng linkksql from one ip to another In reply to
hi andy,

I have dedicated server and the problem is that i have dumped all files from Mandrake server to redhat server.

On mandrake server i had mysql.sock at this location
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

But on Redhat we have mysql.sock at this location
/tmp/mysql.sock

I am not figuring out the page where i shold make this cahnge . I am sure that since i have dumped all pages from old server to this server the mysql.sock path is also carried . Which needs to be changed.

I have checked the status of mysql it is running at port 3306.

I hope i told properly my problem.

With warm regards,
Vinit Sharma
Quote Reply
Re: [vinit] shifitng linkksql from one ip to another In reply to
When you say 'copied it all over'... do you mean just LinksSQL? If so, it wouldn't matter where MySQL is installed, as long as localhost points to the right place.

Try loggin in via root, and typing;

service mysqld restart

...what does that give you?

Otherwise, try;

./etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld restart

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
hello Andy,

The mysql is already running and i am using it for otehr websites toos.The problem is in locating the mysql.sock for linkssql.Or does linkssql automatically detects teh mysql.sock location.

With warm regards,

Vinit sharma
Quote Reply
In /admin/defs/database.def , where is the 'host' pointing to?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
hi andy ,

I was surfing the archive and have found this link that you and paul had faced way back in 2002

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/forum/General_C8/Databases_and_SQL_F36/MySQL_annoying_me_again!_P203552/

hope you can help me from here , the all stuff is about linking the mysql.sock to the right place now

with warm regards,

Vinit sharma
Sr LAMP developer
i-link infosoft [G] Pvt Ltd
Quote Reply
Hi,

Reinstall DBD::mysql perl module and it will find out where the proper socket is (make sure to remove /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock first).

Alternatively, edit the mysql startup and change where it stores your sock file.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] shifitng linkksql from one ip to another In reply to
Hello andy and alex,

That was great help and effot from both of you , I finally got my linksql shifted from one serve to another.

I want one more help from you which you must have faced if you have shifted the linksql from onw ip to another . I am not able to view my older categories listed as they used to be. I went to the admin panel and build all links and the database is the dump of the previous database. PLease guide me how to recreate my categories again here .

With warm regards,

Vinit sharma