Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Re: [rgbworld] GLinks 3.x HOWTO: Overriding styles in CSS using custom.css

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] GLinks 3.x HOWTO: Overriding styles in CSS using custom.css In reply to
In Reply To:
In the beginning, most users had slow modem based internet. So web developers wanted to make some html codes reusable by using CSS, also by caching CSS external file, to lower the bandwidth usage.
But now most users have DSL or cable internet, so these would not need to count all bytes on the webpages, no small pages required.
I don't mind being a site +10K more, but knowing, that it degrades well.
1) people still are using dialup (not as many, but you don't want pages to load too slowly).
2) when the CSS alone is more than 10KB, reloading that on every request can make a page load slowly. If a user manages to download the style sheet at 10KB/s that's 1 second of extra load time per click on your page. At 20KB/s that's still half a second.

luna_core.css is currently sitting at 13.9KB. If you embedded that into the html, and your site got 1,000 hits per day, then that's 13.6MB per day or about 420MB per month of bandwidth usage. A more concrete example: our server does about 90,000 page requests per day; If luna_core.css was embedded in each request, then that's an extra 37.8GB per month in bandwidth usage. Small things add up.

Also remember that if your site loads slowly, visitors are probably less likely to return (well there's a lot of variables which would affect this, but this is one of them). I think the benefits of saving bandwidth and lowering load times outweighs the downside of not being able to save pages to disk (which is sort of a browser issue).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] GLinks 3.x HOWTO: Overriding styles in CSS using custom.css In reply to
Quote:
1) people still are using dialup (not as many, but you don't want pages to load too slowly).

Just thought I'd add, people are also using mobile devices more and more in which css not only saves on download speed (and cost to the end user), but also rendering quality.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GLinks 3.x HOWTO: Overriding styles in CSS using custom.css In reply to
Alex, how good is your Treo at rendering pages that use CSS?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] GLinks 3.x HOWTO: Overriding styles in CSS using custom.css In reply to
Hi Adrian,

Quote:
Quote:
Just read the DirName_converter on beta "2.99" thread, and you will see that the build_directory_field config option was removed suddenly without keeping backward compatibility for a few versions at least.
If it makes sense to keep things in for backwards compatibility then we will leave it in. However, for a setting like this which is not used at all in the base program, we won't leave in.

So as to stay "on topic" could you elaborate on GT's position in the thread we started about this.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=279196#279196

For myself this is a pretty important feature since I expect to use Links with a foreign language with accents. The advantage of this set-up was being able to use accents in category names but have the URLs that are search engine friendly and they won't be with underscores replacing every letter that has an accent...

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
The browser that comes with it is Blazer which seems to render css fairly well. The processor is a bit underpowered, so when you are at 100k+ sites, rendering time can be a bit slow.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Then include the css file or the relevant rules. Not very hard.

I had tried that before switiching to non css format and found:

The mail landing in Gossamer Mail account doesn't show any difference. It's always the Gossamer Mail's style.css which takes precedence. The mail landing in Yahoo, has that horrible horizontal scroll.

Perhaps i would give it another go when i upgrade the live installation. Excuse my ignorance, but what would happen when two styles have conflicting values:

For example a hover, visited, link of Gossamer Mail and Gossamer Links (outgoing mail) have different settings for a hover, link, visited etc?

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Adrian,

I understand your logic. Size is also important for me (however not so hardly as earlier).
There are some priorities which are important for me, and size is below compatibility reasons.

First a page should degrade well, even if user saves just the html to the HD, then matters the size.

For many sites, the design as attractive factor (using a lot images) has higher priority, than the size factor. And it's awful seeing some sites with big, unoptimized images. Brrrrr...
CSS is a good way to reach most of the mentioned factors, however it needs careful usage for compatibility and degrade reasons.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] GLinks 3.x HOWTO: Overriding styles in CSS using custom.css In reply to
Offtopic, but still related to mobile devices.
You opened to the WAP direction in the GCommunity.
Will these WAP developments lifted into LSQL or DBManSQL?
(Maybe this post should be moved into separate thread...)

How about such modules, like GT::SQL::Display::WAP or Links::SiteHTML (divided into Links::Site::HTML and Links::Site::WAP, where Links::Site would hold the common functions & methods)

The industry says, WAP is a big mistake, but I see people actively using WAP to get important informations, so my WAP presence is necessary (even tough there are intelligent mobile handhelds, which can display HTML, but there will be 2-5 years until these devices get into real weekdays).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
> >