Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Add an editor?

Quote Reply
Add an editor?
Seems like there is an editor system, but I'm not sure how to make a user an editor??

Can somone help me with this or explain what to do?

Thanks.

Forum-Forum.com - A Forum For Forum Owners and Enthusiasts!
Forum-Search.com - The first "yahoo style" all forums search engine and directory! NOW OPEN!
From the F-Network.
Quote Reply
Re: [nocturnix] Add an editor? In reply to
Hi,

If you go into the Admin - use the browser in the top and then go to a category and click 'Editors' - then type in the username of the new Editor and assign the rights of the particular editor..

The the editor should be logged in and can get access to edit from /cgi-bin/links/browser.cgi

All the best
Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Add an editor? In reply to
Hmm...

Okay, you can only assign editors to certain forums? you cant have a global editor?

Also...does the editor have to browse through and FIND the links to be validated, or is there a place where he can go to see all links awaiting validation?

Forum-Search.com - The first "yahoo style" all forums search engine and directory! NOW OPEN!
From the F-Network.
Quote Reply
Set the user to be Administrator - then that editor can access all categories.

Klaus

Quote Reply
yes but what if you dont want them to have all the rights of an administrator? I want them just to be able to validate all links, not have complete access to everything.

No offense, but I'm not impressed with the editor system of links SQL, doesnt seem very effecient or make much sense to me?

From the F-Network.

Last edited by:

nocturnix: Apr 14, 2003, 1:38 PM
Quote Reply
yeah I guess you would have to assign the editors to each category...Unsure

Klaus

Quote Reply
I'm just starting to play with this feature.

There has been some concern about the access editors have, in other threads.

I installed a logging feature that tracked edits/changes to the database. That way even if editors did something, I could still restore it. It was an offshoot of the upload program I was working on, since I needed a way to flag/track edits made to the uploads without making them live, or creating broken links (on static sites) if a link's uploads were changed and before re-validation.

Then the editor monitor came out, with a way to reward them, and such, and I figured I'd move on to something else.

I may revisit this soon, as I need to have editors on a large number of sites, and I need to have a way to manage them, and track them, and make sure they are not doing things counter to the spirit of their jobs ;)

This might actually need to be a dual-layer plugin. The local version, which monitors the access of the editor to the site, and a community level plugin that lets you grab information from all the editors in that "community".

Obviously, this needs to wait til the community final is out, and see what sort of communication can be created between "community" sites.

Moving the user statistics and editor statistics up a level, into community, would be a really great thing for the super-user/manager. You'd still get local stats on each of the sites for local use, but the big-cheese's would be able to get overall stats for all the sites.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
When you assign an editor to a category, does it give them editor rights to all subcategories under the category you assigned them to?

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Add an editor? In reply to
yes

Quote Reply
So, theoretically, you could give a user editor rights to all of your top-level categories, and they would have permissions to every category on the system. Cool

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Add an editor? In reply to
the problem is, there needs to be a "links to be validated area" listing all the links...right now the editor needs to run around all the cats, which could be hundreds and find links that are awaiting validation?

Is this right?

From the F-Network.
Quote Reply
They can not be emailed either if a new link is waiting to be validated with info and which category? I bought the editor monitor plugin (which is good) but still don't see where the editor could be emailed when a new link is posted. Would be helpful...
AuctionGuy
If you think Education is expensive, Try ignorance.

Last edited by:

AuctionGuy: Apr 16, 2003, 11:47 PM
Quote Reply
It is my understanding that if an editor enter any category and hit Validate all pending itmes will show up regardless which category they are in

Klaus

Quote Reply
They can not enter "any" category. Only ones that they are approved for. (if I understand you correctly) Also they would have to login everyday to check if there are any new links. Non-productive, and asking way to much, if you want new links included on a timely mater. Crazy
AuctionGuy
If you think Education is expensive, Try ignorance.