Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Importing from Access

Quote Reply
Importing from Access
I have an MS Access file with data. I want to import it into Links SQL. I looked into the manual and did not find too much infor on importing from Access. I searched the forum and did not find too much info either.

Do anyone has experience doing it and can share it with me. I need step by step procedures as to how to do it.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Importing from Access In reply to
Hi. There are quite a few ways to import into LinksSQL. I've not had to do too many Access database imports, but I recently wrote this plugin: http://www.ultranerds.com/...etail_page.cgi?ID=52.

If you can export your data into a tab/comma/pipe delimited file, then my Data_Import plugin should do what you want.

It is possible to do it via LinksSQL AFAIK, but I'm afraid I don't actually know how to do this.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Is it part of Links Admin? In reply to
Hi, Andy:

Is it part of Links SQL 2.12 Admin? or do I need to buy it?

Banana
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Is it part of Links Admin? In reply to
Its one of my plugins I'm afraid, so its not free :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
What is AFAIK? In reply to
Another question: what is AFAIK you talked about in your email? Where can I take a look at it, too?
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] What is AFAIK? In reply to
AFAIK means "As Far As I Know" Wink

>>>Where can I take a look at it, too? <<<

I have a demo setup here: http://demo.ace-installer.com/...ssql/admin/admin.cgi

Plugins > Data_Import > Start Import

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What are those fields? In reply to
Andy:

In this plugin, I give the access file name and then choose the category where I want all my data to import to. Then what are the next few questions in this plugin?

Suppose I have 20 different fields in my Access file, but Links table only have pre-defined 15 fields, how do I match up all my access data and get them into the proper fields in the right table?

How do you manage this? Should I change the Links tables first or my access file so that they match each other before I can use this plugin? Do you have trial period for this plugin?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] What are those fields? In reply to
>>>In this plugin, I give the access file name and then choose the category where I want all my data to import to. Then what are the next few questions in this plugin? <<<

No. You would need to export your data into a tab, comma (,), or pipe (|) delimited file, such as;

Title|URL|Description|Category

You would enter your first piece of data (just the top line), into the 'sample' box, and then choose your file delmiter (in the above case, 'pipe').

You are then shown a page with a list of the field names that your data can be assigned too, so you can basically pick-and-mix the order that your data is passed into the plugin with. This is one of the most powerful features, as it doesn't matter about the order your data is in.

The categories are then made in the next step, and after that, the data you submited, is grabbed from the .txt file that is written to your server, and then tries to add each of those links. Thats pretty much it :)

>>>Suppose I have 20 different fields in my Access file, but Links table only have pre-defined 15 fields, how do I match up all my access data and get them into the proper fields in the right table? <<<

You can choose which fields you want to import (leave the drop-down blank if you don't want to import a particular column from your import data).

>>>How do you manage this? Should I change the Links tables first or my access file so that they match each other before I can use this plugin? <<<

You don't need to change anything in your database for this plugin to work.

>>>Do you have trial period for this plugin? <<<

Unfortunatly not. After a few recent incidents, I don't really have enough faith in peoples 'good will' to be able to offer a free trial of it, sorry.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] What are those fields? In reply to
If you go to 'Database -> Links -> Properties' you will see a link at the bottom of the page: "Import Data". You can also use this function to import your data into Links SQL.

As Andy said, you first need to export it from Access into a text file.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
What about if I move to a different machine? In reply to
Hi, Andy:

After I have your plugin and want to upgrade my server, how do you allow me to move your plugin over with Links SQL to the new machine?
Quote Reply
Importing daba In reply to
Hi, Ivan:

Thanks. I looked there. It is so simple and there is control over where and how you import your data. Is it going to mess up everyhthing and tables?
Quote Reply
Do I need to add category in my data file? In reply to
Andy:

If I use your plugin, do I need to add category in my text file before I do import? I heard some people say that the category name should be added or something in the data before I import. But you said that I will make category in your plugin. Can you explain?
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Do I need to add category in my data file? In reply to
Hi. The Data_Import plugin is intelligent. It will works out if a category needs to be made (you simply point it to the data field that the category is held in), or you can simply import them all into a 'default' category.

Here is some sample data that I managed to import successfully;

1|Yahoo|http://www.yahoo.com|The well known search enine

.. you point the 'category' for field '2' (as its the 2nd field in from the left), and then point the other fields to each piece of data appropriatly.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
When I move, can I move plugin with me? In reply to
Andy:

Your plugin is pretty good. I need to talk to my boss about buying it. If I change server, how do you allow me move in this plugin with me along to the new hardware?
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] When I move, can I move plugin with me? In reply to
>>>Your plugin is pretty good<<<

:)

>>>If I change server, how do you allow me move in this plugin with me along to the new hardware? <<<

Not quite sure what you mean. Because its a plugin, you can transfer it to another server if needed,and no paths etc will need to be updated. Please let me know if I misinterpreted your question :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Looking for Andy In reply to
Andy:

My boss said that I can buy your plugin. How do I pay? by credit card?

I need to install it into my Links, but soon I will get rid of my old server and have a new one. How do I transfer your plugin with me to the new server or I need to simply download it twice?
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Looking for Andy In reply to
Hi,

>>>My boss said that I can buy your plugin. How do I pay? by credit card? <<<

You should be able to buy it here: http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/52.html

Otherwise, you can send via PayPal to paypal@ultranerds.com, and I'll get you added to download it from our members area ASAP.

>>>I need to install it into my Links, but soon I will get rid of my old server and have a new one. How do I transfer your plugin with me to the new server or I need to simply download it twice?
<<<

If you are doing a full transfer of your site, then it should just 'work' as-is ... there are no paths etc that need to be changed.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Do you give me a software? In reply to
Andy:

I may only transfer data. It is easier to reinstall Links. Do you give me a file that I can save somewhere and plug it in when I need to? Or I need to download from you twice when I change to a new server? How do I carry it with me? I am asking is because I don't want this plugin to import data multiple times in the next two years.
Let me know
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Do you give me a software? In reply to
Sorry. I should say that I want this plugin to import data as many time as I want into Links in the next two years. So I want to keep it
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Do you give me a software? In reply to
When you download the plugin, it is in the .tar format. You can keep a copy of this PC for safekeeping if you want, or you can just re-download it when the time arises (there may be a newer version out when you come to reinstall LinksSQL).

I'm off for the night now I'm afraid, so your order won't be put through straight away. When I get up in the morning, I'll get it sent off to you ASAP.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Do you give me a software? In reply to
Andy, quick question about the data import plugin. Do you have to upload the tab/comma delimited file to your server, or will it import directly from the harddrive.
Second question, how large of a file will it be able to import,
and third question, can it run from the shell/telnet?

Thanks,
Dinky

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [banana] Importing from Access In reply to
The table you want to import should be turned into a regular sequential file by "exporting" from Access. When you export, be careful of some things.
1. The default export for most Microsoft products is a comma delimited file (*.CSV). If you export with this it looks like "fielda","fieldb","fieldc"... for every row in your Access table. This is ok for importing into links, but you have to be careful. If your data contains apostrophes, double quotes, commas, etc. you could get into trouble.
2. The best way to export, as a rule, is to go through the Access Export wizard and change delimited file to: delimited by '|' (that's the character above the "\") on your keyboard. The idea here is that this character is rarely used and most likely will not be found in your file.
3. Save the file somewhere on your harddrive as a *.txt file.
4. Follow the Links procedure for importing. Open up Notepad with your *.txt file in it, select all and do a cut and paste into the links import box.
5. You may have a problem if you have limited memory on your machine.
6. There may be better ways to get the file into Links and maybe someone else can post that here. The procedure to get the file out of access is a good one, I think.
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] Do you give me a software? In reply to
Hi.

Quote:
Do you have to upload the tab/comma delimited file to your server, or will it import directly from the harddrive.

It will only work by copy/pasting the data from the Comma/Tab/Pipe seperated file, into the text area when importing.

Quote:
Second question, how large of a file will it be able to import,

I'm on dialup (for the moment), and I can do about 15,000 items at a time. My friend has also been able to import over 30,000 items (about 15,000 categories), but he is on ADSL. It all depends on your connection speed, the speed of your server at the time of importing, etc. The recommended about would be about 5,000 at a time.

Quote:
and third question, can it run from the shell/telnet?

Unfortunatly not. I do want to add this in for the future, but its pretty hard, as its so complex in the way that it lets you define which parts of the data that are being imported, match up to which MySQL field. It would definatly speed the process up (and you could handle larger imports) ... but the command to run it would be a mile long Frown I'll ponder on this one, as it is something I would like to add.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Do you give me a software? In reply to
Even without command line, that's still a pretty good number of links...
I'm thinking more and more about that packaged deal Wink

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] Do you give me a software? In reply to
Quote:
I'm thinking more and more about that packaged deal

Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk