Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Excluding Fields from Search

Quote Reply
Excluding Fields from Search
I am trying to exclude certain fields from being searched with little success.

The doc says:

"Search Weight: If this is set to a positive value, this field will be included in the search index. Note: you must rebuild the search index after changing/adding a search weight."

Out of the box, only Title, URL, and Description have a positive value. ALL others are NULL. YET, search is returning records based on values in fields WHERE Search_Weight is NULL.

So, I set a few fields to both "0" and "-1", resynched the database, rebuilt the search and it is STILL searching those fields.

One other issue is that after chaninging a search weight, it still shows as NULL on the Edit Links Table Definition[/url] page. Yet, when you drill down, the actual value is present.

I have tried this on both my Linux/Apache and Windows/IIS box and they perform exactly the same way. v2.1.2

Quote Reply
Re: [vicos2] Excluding Fields from Search In reply to
I found this in the Search Setup page:

"By default, users can search on any field in your Links table by going to search.cgi?FIELDNAME=SEARCHTERM. If you have fields you don't want users to search on, you can list them here (comma separated list), and the search.cgi will ignore them."

I added the fields I did not want searched and it did no good. Some parameters on this page do work a I am able to control the numer of records per page.

Appreciate if GT could clarify how this is supposed to work and/or if it is a BUG.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Search weights are only relevant if you are using internal indexing. Are you using this?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Excluding Fields from Search In reply to
"internal indexing"

This is the first I have heard this term in regards to anything (LINKS or mySQL). Please clarify.
Quote Reply
Have you read the Readme provided in your GT download area? It covers Indexing pretty well in there, if my memory serves me correct :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
If you go to admin>database>Links>properties, at the bottom of the page you should see Indexing Scheme. You need to set this to INTERNAL to use the weights.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Excluding Fields from Search In reply to
It all becomes clear now Wink It helps when you read the docs - unfortunately I didn't see it listed in the TOC so I assumed it wasn't there Pirate Thanks for not casting stones at me.

Last edited by:

vicos2: Jun 30, 2003, 1:06 PM