Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Users table: Passwords can not be left blank

Quote Reply
Users table: Passwords can not be left blank
Hi,
I would like to add a new field to the users table, named staff

I'm using community, so the users that are in the Links user table have no password listed for them.

When i attempt to modify a user so that I can set that members staff field to yes, and submit it, Im informed that password can not be left blank.

Is it safe to set password to "Not Null: No", since I'm using community to let people register and login etc?

And, am I going to have to do anything to the community system if I have added the staff field to the users table? Like do I have to insert any coding *somewhere* in the community system that forces it to write staff:No when a user first registers, or can it be ignored since it's not a required field in the users table?

Thanks,

2nd part: (I might as well keep it all in one location I suppose).

I want to make a text entry box show up on the include_form template only for those users that will have the staff field set to Yes. Is this correct syntax to do that:
Code:
<%if staff eq Yes%>place text area html coding here<%endif%>

Last edited by:

Westin: Apr 26, 2009, 3:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Users table: Passwords can not be left blank In reply to
Hi,

I'm confused - why do you want to only add the "staff" field to GLinks, and not GComm? (its easier to just add to GComm, and it will then still be available for the user in $USER)

Quote:
When i attempt to modify a user so that I can set that members staff field to yes, and submit it, Im informed that password can not be left blank.

Ya, you should be ok to set it to not required - but I'd still recommend just using GComm for the new "staff" field :)

Re this:

Code:
<%if staff eq Yes%>place text area html coding here<%endif%>

..the correct format would really be:

Code:
<%if user.staff eq "Yes"%>show what you want<%endif%>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!