Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Moving Site

Quote Reply
Moving Site
I'm moving a site using Links SQL to a new host. I've ftp'd all the files in the cgi-bin directory directly from the old host to the new one.

What's the best way to get the program up and running on the new host?
Quote Reply
Re: [Spacemanspiff] Moving Site In reply to
Hi,

You have to edit these files manually, *.cgi, admin/*.cgi and admin/Links/Config/Data.pm

*.cgi files are just amended two lines on their top to suitable real path on your new server. And the Data.pm need to edited by changing the file path like admin_root_path, build_root_path, etc. Urls is not to be modified unless you changed your domain name.

You also have to copy images and css files and other static pages.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Also remember to dump your database and import it to the new server as well.

Adrian
Quote Reply
I've just moved site and all I did was:

1. Download the latest version of LSQL from the GT Licensed area (URL can be found on your e-mail receipt) and install to the new server.

2. Download the existing templates, defs and Plugins folders from the old server and upload them to the new server.

3. Download the last Backup file from the old server and "Install From Backup" on the new LSQL.

Done!

The only problem that I had was with additional fields that I had added to the database. You need to enter these manually or you'll get an error message when you try to restore the backup file.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Moving Site In reply to
I would advise against installing the latest version on the new server if your old server has an older version installed since the database may need modifications to work with the newer version. You should either upgrade the copy on the old server first, then transfer, or install the same version on the new server and then upgrade that.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Moving Site In reply to
I had automatic updates enabled so I knew my version was up-to-date. Wink

Good point though.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Moving Site In reply to
Automatic updates, huh? That must be on the newer versions. I don't recall seeing it on mine, which is 2.something.or.other. I guess I need to get off my butt and update.

I've tried editing the files mentions above and I'm still getting error messages. Would it make sense to just do a new install of my current version, restore from the latest backup, and then upgrade?

I'm wondering if, in ftp'ing directly from one host to another the files are getting transfered in the wrong mode, or is that even applicable to the SQL version?

Last edited by:

Spacemanspiff: Mar 9, 2006, 3:01 PM
Quote Reply
Version 3.1.0

Setup / Miscellaneous Options / updates_check_on_home

Quote:
Check for updates on home page. If enabled, a check for updates will be performed on the "Home" page of the Gossamer Links admin panel. This check can save you time by making it not necessary to constantly check the "Updates" page for program updates.

Quote:
Originally posted by brewt
You should either upgrade the copy on the old server first, then transfer, or install the same version on the new server and then upgrade that.

Smile
Quote Reply
They're not really automatic updates (ie. it doesn't update your installation automatically), but there's a page in the admin panel which allows you to quickly and easily update and upgrade your copy of Gossamer Links. You still have to select which updates/upgrades to install. Remember to take a look at the changelogs in the annoucements forum.

Adrian
Quote Reply
We haven't updated for quite sometime. Whenever we do, do we have to go thru each version or direct upgrade?

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Moving Site In reply to
You can upgrade directly to the latest version.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Ok, I got past the internal server error problem. Now I'm getting this error message.

A fatal error has occured:
Links::Config (14598): Unable to compile '/usr/www/virtual/cybmktz/www.domaincom/links/admin/admin/admin/Links/Config/Data.pm': No such file or directory. at /usr/www/virtual/cybmktz/www.domain.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin/admin/Links.pm line 102.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

Is this saying that it can't find the Data.pm file?

Last edited by:

Spacemanspiff: Mar 9, 2006, 3:31 PM
Quote Reply
Never mind. Got that one figured out.

Advice: Be very careful when entering paths. Blush