Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Help! I moved to a new server

Quote Reply
Help! I moved to a new server
I had all the files transfered and right now the nameservers are being propagated. I can't get to the admin panel in the new location. It won't accept my old password for some reason. For anything that needs access to the database I'm getting this message - Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@meowhoo.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.meowhoo.com Port 80
I have been told that with the new server I need to change the name of the database this way -
Database name: meowhoo_database Username: meowhoo_meowhoo Password: ****** (same as old server)

How do I go about doing this?

I need a "for dummies" reply please. If you mention a file, please let me know where it is etc.

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] Help! I moved to a new server In reply to
Hi. Here are a few pointers;

1) Regarding the admin blocking. Be sure to edit .htaccess, so its looking for the .htpasswd file in the same folder, and not the old admin path.

2) You will need to edit database.def (or once you get into the LSQL admin panel, just do it through Setup > Database.

3) How did you copy over the files?

4) I'd suggest taking a look over these forums, as there are quite a few cool "grep" commands, which will help you change all the paths in the LSQL files :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Help! I moved to a new server In reply to
ok - where is that htacssess file that I need to edit?
I hired someone to transfer the files - I will ask him how they did it.
I wouldn't know what a grep command is if it hit me in the face Blush so I guess they're not for me really.

Told you I need the "for dummies" version Blush

Oh and thank you for the quick reply - I'm on the verge of panic here with the server move... I need all the help I can get...

Last edited by:

Anat: Jun 26, 2004, 2:03 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
I hired someone to transfer the files - I will ask him how they did it.

Hopefully they didn't just download/reupload, as that would loose all the file permissions :(

Quote:
ok - where is that htacssess file that I need to edit?

/cgi-bin/admin/.htaccess
/cgi-bin/admin/.htpasswd (shouldn't need to edit this one)

Quote:
so I guess they're not for me really.

Grep is pretty much the best way to do it (unless you like spending hours looking at lines of code, and manually changing all the paths Pirate).

Quote:
Oh and thank you for the quick reply - I'm on the verge of panic here with the server move... I need all the help I can get...

No prob :) BTW... if you get desperate, we do have a transfer service ($75).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Help! I moved to a new server In reply to
Oh I get desperate very quickly when it comes to these kind of things. But I think I'll let the admin I hired tackle this first Angelic hopefully words like grep doesn't send him into a panic attack like they do to me Blush

Quote Reply
ok - the htaccess file has this bit of info -
/www/meowhoo/cgi-bin/links/admin/.htpasswd

could it be possible that since the domain name hasn't propagated properly yet - it's somehow getting confused?

Quote Reply
Is that the right path though? Try seting to;

.htpasswd

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk