Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Projects in Progress

Quote Reply
Projects in Progress
There are a few things I'm working on, and I'm trying to get the New Links system understood to make them plug-ins and modules.

1) Banner rotation script, perhaps AdvertPro integration (several people have been discussing this with me). This is in the works/under development.

2) Shopping cart -- I've started a basic catalog/order system, and I've cruised the web 2-3x a month looking for both PERL and PHP scripts to do this. Basically, it looks like I'm still on my own here, since 90% of the scripts concentrate on making catalogs or on trivia of the process, rather than the "guts" of putting products on-line in an easily updated, mantained, and customizable fashion. _ANY_ help, suggestions, code, etc would be appreciated.

3) File upload, auto thumbnail generation, and image archiving. Above and beyond simply tagging a file to a link. Full image management -- moving files, indexing files, rebuilding broken indexes, etc. There are dozens, hundreds, of programs out there, _NONE_ of them in the past 10-15 years do anything like what I've ever needed. This is probably my #1 pet project after the item 1 above (which is sort of commercial ie:paid :) ) This is a real integral part of the shopping cart / catalog system, but needs to be a stand-alone module since it has wide application.

4) Editor/Password logon, user management, centralized user database, centralized mailing list manager (like PostmasterDirect, and others), etc. The 'etc.' is because this is something absolutely "central" to the development of both single sites, and site networks (and as most people know, site networks are probably the way of the future -- small specialty shops strung together, rather than one huge sprawling site). Until Links NG comes out, there's no real idea how much this needs to be expanded from the basic unit. But, several people have so far expressed the agreement that user management should be it's own database, upon which external programs such as Links, w3t (forums), shopping, etc should draw.

5) All the "utility" scripts from the past year moved to integrated plug-in or snap-on mods <G>

6) Making the Newsletter system a plug-in, to allow a "What's New" area (separate from links, for site news, udpates, FAQ, etc), and Newsletter management as in item 4 above.

7) Static-page regeneration module. All sites have static pages litered about, and they never get updated properly. A separate "build" manager to maintain these pages, and rebuild them similar to a mix of page.cgi, the detailed.cgi and nph-build.cgi. This is probably a feature, or sub-module of the newsletter system above, but it will use a set of templates, and allow a site owner to link-in, or add, pages to their site with tangential content to the links directory, and rebuild them in a similar fashion to keep advertising, dates, copyrights, etc up to date. May seem trivial, but site-management for large sites is a real headache!! If _ALL_ pages were in a central registry, and maintained from a central spot, then even the 'static' pages (such as error pages) can be updated and rebuilt on a schedule or maintennance system.

8) ????

These are just the notes tagged to my computer at the moment.

Many of these overlap, and proper module development will allow one to build on the other.

I've looked into SourceForge.com and some other sites, trying to find a good project management solution, but haven't found one that meets the needs of this group.

Anyone have ideas for project management software where the developers here can list their projects, share code, and work together in a coordinated way, rather than everyone trying to reinvent the same modules, plugins and routines??

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Re: Projects in Progress In reply to
Hi Pugdog,

For the Image mod why not take a look at ImageFolio http://www.imagefolio.com i have it running in the gallery section of http://www.dukesgenesis.com

Regards

MDJ1
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've looked at Image Folio, but it has a few problems. First, it's commercial, which means I can't see the software if it's worth using, and second, it's really made for gallery type sites.

Links is a display program. The only parts missing are good file managment, with a concentration on the features for image handling.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
PugdogŪ:

Regarding # 7...

I made a similar mod a while back- at least i THINK i did. Since I am so poor at coding, anything I do tends to be coping and modding existing codes. In any case, i never posted it because I figured it was so trivial.

I just took the static pages (typically, the privacy notice (privacy.html) and the link-to-us kind of pages) and put masters of them all in the templetes dir. Then- the nasty part!- was coding each one into links.pm...

In Reply To:

# The path and URL for the Add Rate page.
$LINKS{build_addrate_path} = "$LINKS{build_root_path}/privacy";
$LINKS{build_addrate_url} = "$LINKS{build_root_url}/privacy";

# The path and URL for the Add Link page.
$LINKS{build_link2us_path} = "$LINKS{build_root_path}/link2";
$LINKS{build_link2us_url} = "$LINKS{build_root_url}/link2";
then I had to mod HTML-Templetes.... that was nasty!

But I just took the existing model for building a page and "adapted it" for what was needed in each existing static page... here is an example for the link to us page referenced above in links.pm (this code in my HTML_Templetes):

In Reply To:

sub site_html_link_2_us {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine will build a add link page.
#
my ($tags, $dynamic) = @_;
my $random2;
my $template = defined $dynamic ? $dynamic->param('t') : undef;
(ref $tags eq 'HASH') or croak "HTML_TEMPLATES: Argument '$tags' must be hash reference";

$random2 = int(rand (8999999)) + 1000000;

defined $dynamic and &load_user ($dynamic, $tags);
my $output = &load_template ('link_2_us.html', {
random2 => $random2,
%$tags,
%GLOBALS
}, undef, $template);
defined $dynamic and &clean_output($dynamic, \$output);
return $output;
}
That- I think- was all I did. A hassle to go through a bunch of pages to get started, but once it's done, you never do it again! (Oh, BTW, those random number statements are for banner ads.... )

Now, I figure I tyotally missed what you are asking for... cuz if I can figure it out, it is not too hard to do. Thus, you must be asking for something else.... but on the off chance this does it, here ya go!

Quote Reply
shopping cart In reply to
hi pugdog,
i wanted to release a code for a shopping cart soon but
i am still far away from that point. it would be nice if you
could take a look at http://www.master-productions.com. it is based on links-sql has its own affiliate program and - thank to the database we get from one company there is a nice feature which shows additional hardware you could need for some things like at http://www.master-productions.com/...detail.cgi?ID=476832. as already mentioned i would like to release the code as soon as possible to let people use it and have it improved.

http://www.master-productions.com
Quote Reply
Re: Plugins In reply to
How about a Mailing List manager with multiple lists, i.e.; Tick to subscribe for

O - Updates, Changes & Maintenance Notifications
O - General site name Community Newsletter
O - Media & Press Releases
O - New Features
O - Webmaster Tips Newsletter

Could use existing templates directory and be a plugin module with its own Tables and admin features?

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Re: Plugins In reply to
Qango,

With html mail support ?

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: shopping cart In reply to
El noe,

Would be nice to release the code. Maybe we can help you improve the code ?

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Hi,

You know if the language text in the new version will be together in 1 file (or on top) or do i have to edit all codes again ?
If not do you have a idea to make a mod (i quess it can't?) for it ?

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint