Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Problems with the scripts

Quote Reply
Problems with the scripts
Well, first off, I have to say... customizing these scripts has been hell and I regret buying Links-SQL, but I spent $480 and now I need to make the most of them. I always believe that ANYTHING should be possible with a script (especially when it costs almost $500). But Links-SQL does not allow me to easily modify alot of stuff I want to do through templates and that is definately a shame. What I am trying to do is something very simple. http://www.scriptz.com/MYSQL/index.html - Now you see how there is 3 rows. But you will notice they use fix width I guess. You see "Programs and Scripts" is much further away from "Connections" (more space between it) than "Connections" is away from "Books and Literature". How do I change this? I want there to only be a small amount of width between them.

Adam
--------------------
Scripts - Powered by Links-SQL
Quote Reply
Re: [SkuZZy] Problems with the scripts In reply to
from what I see the distance between "Programs & Scripts" and "Connections" is same as "Connections" and " Books and Literature".

Why not just create a small table and then input <%category%> in it. You can modify the width of the table to the way you like and I guess it would solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

P.S..... Pl don't blame Links SQ... It is the best in its class, especially when it is sold for *only* US$ 450.00.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote:
customizing these scripts has been hell and I regret buying Links-SQL

What has caused the problems?...Links SQL, IMO is an easy script to customize due to the templates, plugins and globals.

Quote:
I always believe that ANYTHING should be possible with a script (especially when it costs almost $500). But Links-SQL does not allow me to easily modify alot of stuff I want to do through templates and that is definitely a shame.

A little know how can help you achieve almost anything :)

Quote:
You see "Programs and Scripts" is much further away from "Connections" (more space between it) than "Connections" is away from "Books and Literature". How do I change this? I want there to only be a small amount of width between them.

The spacing looks identical in IE6.
Quote Reply
The cells are exactly the same (33%). Its just the fact that one of your category names is longer, that its put the (0) on the next line. I don't think it has anything to do with the templates.

Also, could you find another script in Perl OR PHP written as well as Links SQL, with its plugin system, template system, etc, for less than $1000? I very much doubt it Tongue

BTW: On your home.html template, you have used the 'catagory_total' tag, instead of 'grand_total' (also notice your spelling of category). Just letting you know, so you can get it fixed up :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I want there to only be a small amount of width between them.

Take a closer look at your markup. The subcategories are displayed in table cells with fixed 33% width ...
Code:
<table border=0 width="100%">
<tr>
<td class="catlist" width="33%" valign="top">

The first thing you could try is to remove the width="33%" attribute in the three <td> tags, and the width="100%" attribute in the <table> tag. Then check that the style rules for class="catlist" are what you intend.

Then look at the result in different browsers, just to assure yourself that what you see is not a browser-dependent artefact. The sub-categories are inside tables nested to a depth of 3 or 4, and there are some nested divs as well. Check that your table cells are not influenced by style rules inherited from the enclosing elements, and also that your markup is completely valid -- it's very easy to introduce markup errors when you nest tables to that extent.