Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Problems Searching

Quote Reply
Problems Searching
Hello All,

Well we all know this thread well, "Troubles while doing a search". Before I get a speech let me say that I know all the answers regarding the setting of weights and all those goodies. The problem and history here is............

I built the new Final Release, used my DB from previous Beta, resynced my .def files, copied over my templates, run a repair, blah blah blah. All of the weights are in there ready to go to town. When I try to do a re-index I get the message beginning with "Indexing Links Database ... 154000 links Done" all should be good. However, nothing is coming up with a search. I can search for the sub of 'a' and not get a single record.

And in case this is a symptom of some strange bug..... After changing a weight (Title for instance) the following page puts Title at the bottom with no position number to the left of it. Something like this:

31 Fax TEXT(5000) No Fax TEXT 2
Title VARCHAR(100) No Title TEXT 4

And after inspection of the Links.def file I have found that Title no longer has a position but is 'undef'. Don't know if that is a symptom of anything or not, just weird is all.

Anybody have any ideas? Tomorrow is my deadline to go Live with this thing and frankly my job depends on it. :-( I know call 1-800-big-whah.

Wil Hatfield

Quote Reply
Re: Problems Searching In reply to
Hi,

First off, since you are upgrading from a previous beta, did you run the ALTER TABLE commands specified? This would break the search engine if you didn't. Try setting debug_level to 1 and watch your error logs when doing a search.

If that does fix it, send me an email with shell access and I'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
And where were these Alter Table commands specified? The upgrade file just has the same old instructions it has always had.

Wil

Quote Reply
Hi,

See: http://gossamer-threads.com/p/123795

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Is there any problem with doing these Alterations from mySQL or is it something that MUST be done from MySQLMan?

After following your Alter instructions I get all the same results and symptoms. I am creating you a shell user now.

Wil

Quote Reply
Hi,

You can do it direct from MySQL, using SQL Monitor in MySQLMan, or using SQL Monitor in Links SQL.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.