Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Plugings
Alex,

I'm starting to dig in a little bit into the plugins. I think this is cooler that #$%$ in Antartica!!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the following:

1) Need to allow the Links Admin to set a variable for an email address. This can be comma delineated for multi-email addresses.

2) Need to access a template that would include text for the email. This can be a variable that is set to text that includes info about a link. This info is almost a duplicate of what is sent to the Links Admin when a link is added.

3) Set a variable to turn on or off the emailing of this feature. (Could probably figure out with help from the first point.

4) Then the basic principle in where I set the hooks and how to access the info/variables so that when a link is added and was successful, it then accesses this plug-in to use this function.

Thanks for the help!!!!! Keep up the great work. DEFINITLY worth the wait.

Lance Rasmussen, Bowlingzone.

Quote Reply
Re: Plugings In reply to
Hi Lance,

1. This would be done with a User Option. I'm going to add at a minimum an 'Instructions' field so the plugin user knows what the option is for.

2. You should attach the template to your plugin, and install it in either the user or admin template directory (this isn't functional just yet), but the concept is there. The user will then be able to edit through the normal template editor.

3. Same as point 1. =)

4. Do you want the hook to happen on _any_ link add, or just on user submitted add? It will be a different hook depending on what you want. The hook reference will give you a complete list (over 50) of hooks you can latch onto.

Let me know if that makes sense or not..

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

thanks!

The hook will need to come after the user add's the link. The routine would do it's normal thing and e-mail the admin, but I would then like to hook into my routine to send e-mail with my params (to and msg) too.

Then it's brings up the question. How to call the email routine from Links based on the site settings and e-mail my stuff.

What I was intending on doing is modifying my Links SQL 1.0 modification to page the admin's cell phone/pager when a link was added or modified by a user.

Quote Reply
Alex,

Are things at a point to be able to set this feature up yet?

1) Admin function to enter/store data
i.e. Cell phone number, Admin name, special email addy
2) E-mail that addy with info from a template (same details as in add/modify link template)?

Help to go about that would be great.

Lance Rasmussen
Bowlingzone.com