Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Paypal issue

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Paypal issue In reply to
Quote:
I will try and pursue this with Paypal with respect to the VT card payments, as I don't believe these VT transactions should really be generating an IPN

Although, I have already contacted Paypal about this and their reply was to have the postback script modified to provide a response to VT payments??

How can the website be expected to identify VT payments??

According to the IPN documentation (at the bottom), you can turn off IPNs in your PayPal configuration and still be able to get the postback IPNs. I have tested it in the sandbox and it works.

Quote:
How does the 'manual' payment function work within G Links?

Manual payments are meant for people paying via some non-automated means (like using a cheque). It stays unpaid until you receive payment, which at that point, you manually validate their payment.

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Feb 18, 2010, 3:46 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Paypal issue In reply to
Adrian

Thanks, I've turned off the IPN and tested system LIVE + works OK

To summarize: Paypal IPN is now turned OFF + postback URL is set within the G Links admin area for Paypal payment method

Although the message within the Paypal IPN settings area states that you will NOT receive further IPN's, it does work with IPN switched OFF

So, when setting up Paypal as a payment method in G Links, as long as you have set the postback URL correctly within G Links admin it should work.

Previously I had 'tested' it with IPN set to disabled - which didn't send any notification to website even with a LIVE test transaction.

Thanks again.

regards

Colin
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Paypal issue In reply to
Interesting... I've received two payments with PAYPAL IPN off and never received a email notice. I even tried it with IPN On and no emails and no auto validation.
Quote Reply
Re: [mcalpin1] Paypal issue In reply to
I just called Paypal Tech support after reading several other domain threads... This is what the Paypal tech guy stated and I have no idea what to do...

Make sure the message that goes out provide a 200 OK
Point communication to Port 443 versus Port 80 because they turned off Port 80

Hope it helps..

If you didn't receive an Instant Payment Notification (IPN) message, need it resent, or it failed:
Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
Click "Instant Payment Notification Preferences" in the Selling Preferences column.
Click "IPN History page."
Select the IPNs to be resent.
Click the "Resend Selected" button.
Note: Only "sent" and "failed" IPNs can be resent.
Quote Reply
mcalpin1 wrote:
I just called Paypal Tech support after reading several other domain threads... This is what the Paypal tech guy stated and I have no idea what to do...

Make sure the message that goes out provide a 200 OK
Point communication to Port 443 versus Port 80 because they turned off Port 80

Hope it helps..

If you didn't receive an Instant Payment Notification (IPN) message, need it resent, or it failed:
Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
Click "Instant Payment Notification Preferences" in the Selling Preferences column.
Click "IPN History page."
Select the IPNs to be resent.
Click the "Resend Selected" button.
Note: Only "sent" and "failed" IPNs can be resent.

If your postbacks are using http and not https, it means you don't have Net::SSLeay installed. Please make sure you have this Perl module installed. I'll have to update the paypal module to require it.

Adrian
Quote Reply

Quote:
If your postbacks are using http and not https, it means you don't have Net::SSLeay installed. Please make sure you have this Perl module installed. I'll have to update the paypal module to require it.

Adrian

Ok.. as a dumb person.... Net::SSLeay install within glinks or something else? I guess I should search the internet to understand what it is.
Quote Reply
Interesting.. My ISP is telling me based on what Paypal stated:

443 is the apache listening port when using SSL. Port 80 should not be
blocked at all, however if you want to use port 443, you will need to
setup secure hosting for you site including an SSL certificate.
Is there any errors you are getting or reporting that show blocking on
port 80? Please let me know.
Quote Reply
Hi, I have suddenly started getting IPN warnings again. I assume that it's something that paypal are doing rather than my server not responding to? Is there any solution? I did read the remainder of the thread after I signed off it but I didn't understand a lot of what was said! Anyone spell it out for a ignoramus please?
http://www.absolutedirectory.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jez] Paypal issue In reply to
Update.

I have no idea what is going on with paypal. I got another PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning this morning so I went to paypal to view the payment in question and there wasn't one! I am guessing that this is paypals issue and not mine / gossamer links
Quote Reply
Its due to paypal doing a "test" request of the script. If it gives a failed response (404, 500 etc), then thats when they send the email out. Its a new thing, and a REAL pita to be honest. Appart from applying the bug fixes above (or if Adrian applys a fix for people), then you will just keep getting them emails :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Paypal issue In reply to
Andy wrote:
Its due to paypal doing a "test" request of the script. If it gives a failed response (404, 500 etc), then thats when they send the email out. Its a new thing, and a REAL pita to be honest. Appart from applying the bug fixes above (or if Adrian applys a fix for people), then you will just keep getting them emails :(

Cheers[/quote]
Andy,

Thnaks for the reply.

Looking into the IPN history further to see what's going on I note that there are 2 payments that have caused the warning. However, they are not even coming through from my links site! They were just random payments not connected with that website at all! Isn't that a bit presumptuous of paypal to ping a URL that is not connected to a payment?
Quote Reply
Yup, very presumptios - but some weird thing they've started to do. Its not only GLinks that does this - I've also had it happen with some other IPN scripts I've used/written, doing exactly the same thing.

The simple solution, is to just make sure it doesn't ever give a 500 IE error.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Paypal issue In reply to
How do I do that Andy?
Quote Reply
Best bet is to contact GT (support@gossamer-threads.com), and they should be able to sort it out for ya :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The correct way to set up IPN's now with this change is to turn IPNs off with PayPal settings and pass the postback url in glinks. That way only IPNs generated by glinks will get sent to glinks and thus will give PayPal a correct response. If you set up the postback url at PayPal, then ALL transactions will result in an IPN being sent to postback.cgi, and postback.cgi will return an error for IPNs it doesn't know about.

Adrian
Quote Reply
So I just disable IPN at paypal and remove the URL in glinks?
Quote Reply
Don't remove the postback.cgi script from your end - just remove it from your paypal account settings :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Disable the IPN at PayPal and make sure you specify the postback url in glinks PayPal set up.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Having the same problem myself now :(

Seems like the postback.cgi script is being run, as I see this debug info:

Code:
GT::Config (25933): Loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/database.def' with options: inheritance => '0', local => '0', cache => '1', create_ok => '1', empty => '0', chmod => '438', strict => '0', debug => '1', compile_subs => '' at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 145.
GT::Config (25933): Not loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/database.def' from cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 163.
GT::Config (25933): Adding '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/database.def' to the regular cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 177.
GT::Config (25933): Loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_Payments.def' with options: inheritance => '0', local => '0', cache => '1', create_ok => '0', empty => '0', chmod => '438', strict => '0', debug => '1', compile_subs => '' at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 145.
GT::Config (25933): Not loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_Payments.def' from cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 163.
GT::Config (25933): Adding '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_Payments.def' to the regular cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 177.
GT::Config (25933): Loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_PaymentLogs.def' with options: inheritance => '0', local => '0', cache => '1', create_ok => '0', empty => '0', chmod => '438', strict => '0', debug => '1', compile_subs => '' at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 145.
GT::Config (25933): Not loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_PaymentLogs.def' from cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 163.
GT::Config (25933): Adding '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_PaymentLogs.def' to the regular cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 177.
GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (25933): Executing query: SELECT * FROM glinks_Payments WHERE (payments_id = '7ba71bc4f796a4c9') from Links::Payment::Remote::PayPal::postback at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/Links/Payment/Remote/PayPal.pm line 113
GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (25933): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM glinks_PaymentLogs WHERE ((paylogs_payments_id = '7ba71bc4f796a4c9' AND paylogs_type = 1 AND paylogs_text LIKE '%
Transaction ID: 78X632768G288142T
%')) from Links::Payment::Remote::PayPal::__ANON__ at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/Links/Payment/Remote/PayPal.pm line 223
GT::Config (25933): Loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_Changes.def' with options: inheritance => '0', local => '0', cache => '1', create_ok => '0', empty => '0', chmod => '438', strict => '0', debug => '1', compile_subs => '' at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 145.
GT::Config (25933): Not loading '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_Changes.def' from cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 163.
GT::Config (25933): Adding '/home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/defs/glinks_Changes.def' to the regular cache at /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/GT/Config.pm line 177.
GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (25933): Executing query: SELECT ID FROM glinks_Links WHERE LinkOwner = "" from Links::__ANON__ at (eval 33) line 4

....but nothing is entered into the the PaymentLogs table, and the link isn't validated Unsure

Any suggestions?

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >