Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login

Quote Reply
Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login
It's one of those days ... I just posted this in the wrong forum ... sheesh .....

I'm not really sure what happened, but after I did the password protect I can't login to the admin.

I guess I either made a typo in the username or the password. I have tried a gajillion different combinations but can't get access.

Any ideas, or what else it could be?

I tried emptying the .grp and .pwd files in the _vti_pvt directory ... that didn't work.

Can't seem to find an .htpasswd file, like the 2.0 I have used for years. .htaccess it hidden as well which doesn't help.

--BK

Quote Reply
Re: [Train] Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login In reply to
You may have to login to a shell OR create a new perl / php script to delete the .htaccess & .htpasswd.

Otherwise you are going to have to contact your server admin.

Good Luck!

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login In reply to
alternative is to use ftp to remove the htaccess files, edit them so they are blank and then upload them back onto the server. Then use the GLinks admin to reset the login username/password.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login In reply to
Tried that but it didn't work.

Logged in with Putty and deleted the two .pwd and .grp files ... still didn't work.

Uploaded two empty files ... still doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: [Train] Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login In reply to
I reset my password a couple of times when I forgot it just by doing what I suggested.

The files I was talking about were .htaccess and .htpasswd in the admin directory.

...otherwise I haven't got any other suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Password Protect Didn't Work - Can't Login In reply to
Got it! ... sheesh ... thanks ...

Actually, I have done this same process, removing the .htaccess and .htpasswd files in v2.0, which I've run for years, on a couple of occasions. For some reason it didn't work this time. I went looking for information and found references to the _vti_pvt directory and files there. That just doesn't seem to work at all.

This time (since I have to now acknowledge that I am really having a seriously bad day) I took it step by step ..... s-l-o-w-l-y ... and it worked.

I just installed this last night. Starting a new site and want the newest version.

Next time you're asleep at the wheel I'll shake you awake ... I owe ya one!

--Train