Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Odd 500 error

Quote Reply
Odd 500 error
on my lsql install, sometimes when I goto my script, everything is working fine. other times, I get 500 error. I hit refresh and everything is working fine.

any ideas? (I'm using speedycgi and this is a new install, only 1 link in the db, standard templates -- I haven't modified anything yet).
Quote Reply
Re: [wwwill] Odd 500 error In reply to
Anything showing up in your error logs?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Odd 500 error In reply to
strange, I just looked through my report (URCHIN) and I only have 1 500 error listed -- pertaining to another script. I didn't go through my RAW logs, but it should've shown up in urchin.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Odd 500 error In reply to
I found this in my logs:

[Tue Nov 25 11:24:58 2003] [error] [client 24.211.124.93] File does not exist: /home/fotu/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Nov 25 11:24:58 2003] [error] [client 24.211.124.93] Premature end of script headers: /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/add.cgi

and this a few lines prior:

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (7971): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Links WHERE isValidated = 'No' from Links::Build::_grand_total at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Build.pm line 1000

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (7971): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM CatLinks from Links::Build::_grand_total at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Build.pm line 999

interestingly enough, I think the 500 came when I hit ADD, I think the earlier came from when I went to the directory home page. it loaded fine, but left a couple of lines in the error log.

for the record, the 500 when I hit "add" could just have easily come when I hit "home" or any other nav, sometimes I get 500, sometimes I get the page. If i hit refresh, I get the page.

ideas? TIA
Quote Reply
yep, now that I'm looking for it, I've found more entries in the error log, from when I SUCCESSFULLY load pages:

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (7971): Executing query: SELECT * FROM Reviews WHERE Review_Validated = 'Yes' AND ( Review_LinkID = 1 ) from Links::Link::add_reviews at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Link.pm line 377
LIMIT 0, 25 from Links::Link::_query at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Link.pm line 40

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (7971): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Links WHERE isValidated = 'No' from Links::Build::_grand_total at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Build.pm line 1000

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (7971): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM CatLinks from Links::Build::_grand_total at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Build.pm line 999
Quote Reply
ok, I reran the initial setup. checked my directory and got a 500 error! I hit refresh and there was the page! what gives? here's what it left in the error log:

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (13695): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Links WHERE isValidated = 'No' from Links::Build::_grand_total at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Build.pm line 1000

GT::SQL::Driver::MYSQL::sth (13695): Executing query: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM CatLinks from Links::Build::_grand_total at /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/admin/Links/Build.pm line 999

[Tue Nov 25 12:38:57 2003] [error] [client 24.211.124.93] File does not exist: /home/fotu/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Nov 25 12:38:57 2003] [error] [client 24.211.124.93] Premature end of script headers: /home/fotu/public_html/cgi-bin/directory/page.cgi

I thought that re-running the initial setup may cure me butit didn't. BUT, I read the readme.speedycgi that came with the distribution and this caught my eye:

"To run Links SQL under SpeedyCGI, when asked for the path to perl,
simply enter the path to your speedy program i.e.:

/usr/bin/speedy

Also, when asked if using persistent connections, be sure to say Yes.

That's it, your scripts will now work fine under SpeedyCGI."

I don't recall being asked if using persistent connections inthe initial setup.. could this be the problem? anybody help?
Quote Reply
ok I changed my path frm using speedycgi /usr/bin/speedy to just using reg perl /usr/bin/perl and still had the random error. changed back to speedy. random error. changed back to perl. random error. back to speedy again, and now I can't duplicate the errors.

anybody?
Quote Reply
UPDATE In reply to
for whoever may be following this thread:

I uninstalled each and everyone of my plugins, and now I'm getting no errors at all. coincidence? I'm conviced that it's all running smooth now. I hope I'm right. I guess I'll add my plugins in 1 at a time and see if anything starts screwing up again.