Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

New version ready

Quote Reply
New version ready
Hello all,

I am still waiting (4 months ?) for the final new version of SQLLinks like we all i quess ?! ....

What i really don't get it that GS is making all sort of update's to their programs. Even making new product and SQLLinks isn't still ready....

Sorry but i really don't get this, all at GS get your butts to finish the new version SQLLinks and stop making excusses ..... ...

Can any explain me this logical of GS or what am i missing ?

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: New version ready In reply to
Well... To be honest. A lot of us are.

But I think Alex and the gang are taking the right approach. They have undergone a major amount of redesign and re-work of the code. They implemented a lot of hooks.

I guess the question is.... Would you have rather GT have kept their early plans, hack it out, and let you deal with the code as it would be. not get any of the great features that are being finalized? Then have them come out with what they are doing next year? Just to have folks like yourself complain that they should have had it out before?

I can only speak for myself. Put caution to the wind and come out with something that is rock solid. What is in place now is great. What will be, will be great. The fact that this release is beyond the timeframe expected is simply that. I am sure GT would have loved to have it out earlier too.

So simply, hold on to your britches, watch the forum for release info, when it is available for testing... TEST IT!!!!

Lance Rasmussen, Bowlingzone.com

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply Lance,

In Reply To:
But I think Alex and the gang are taking the right approach. They have undergone a major amount of redesign and re-work of the code. They implemented a lot of hooks.
Sure they have but they are making and releasing 2 or 3 new programs... And de redesign and re-work now allready take 6 months.. So if they feel sorry (like they told us) to us they wouldn't make new programs and finish sqllinks a.s.p. !

In Reply To:
I guess the question is.... Would you have rather GT have kept their early plans, hack it out, and let you deal with the code as it would be.
not get any of the great features that are being finalized? Then have them come out with what they are doing next year? Just to have folks
like yourself complain that they should have had it out before?
Well if they have plans they have to keep it inside and not frustrating people like myself right ?

In Reply To:
So simply, hold on to your britches, watch the forum for release info, when it is available for testing... TEST IT!!!!
So simply to you maybe, but i really need the program for my customers. Sure i can use other version but some things don't seem to work right and also i have to translate the whole program all the time and that take time to. So simply to you but not for my.

I think GS is going in the right path, but they have to improve the communication to their clients like my and maybe you ?

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Hi,

I understand where you are coming from. We are already pulling long nights and working very hard, so things like "get your butts to finish the new version" really don't help. To date, the new version, and all the new libraries represnt 35,000 + lines of new code, and countless sleepless hours of work.

I am so excited about how this has turned out, from our SQL engine, to our template parser, to our user system and to our Plugin system, that I can't wait to see it done and in action. However, I will not rush it and do a sloppy job just so people can get it earlier though.

As for new products, as I stated in the announcements, the bulk of the work for the HTML Editor was done by Scott who is working on the next Gossamer Mail. It did not affect Links SQL at all. As a company, we need to develop new products, and work with new technologies to survive.

I hope you understand.

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

In Reply To:
I hope you understand.
I understand some of your arguments, only i can't get the idea that you at GS are only busy with finishing SQLlinks. Normally i say i understand you as in a company view, but you have told us that you at GS are sorry that it takes some extra time. May we except that you mainly focus on SQLLinks ?

Regards Startpoint.