Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

MySQL problem using ORDER BY for international category names

Quote Reply
MySQL problem using ORDER BY for international category names
Anybody knows how can mysql ORDER BY international strings?
I know this is not just LSQL problem, but I can not solve it. Maybe somebody knows it.

I would need to do sortings for different international languages.
So locale definition should be changed within MySQL.
(changing locale for the system is not solution, because I need
to change more times for different languages)
How it is possible?

Currently the ORDER BY is sorting categories by English locale, putting the non-English starting category names to the last position.
I would like to keep ordering with MySQL ORDER BY, and not to do additional sortings in Perl.

By the way: setting correct perl locales did not help (of course).

Please help! Any ideas are welcome!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] MySQL problem using ORDER BY for international category names In reply to
I posted another thread here to describe the problem in more detail:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=192455

Alex, could you check it?
I think the bug & the problem is very important, because there is not currently possible in Links SQL to change locales any time, to be able sort by international strings...

This is a bug in MySQL, and it will not be solved until version v4.2.
Therefore we should be not use MySQL ORDER BY to do sortings in Links SQL.
We should do that with Perl based sorting...
Or at least to make MySQL & Perl sorting choosable, optional.

Opinions?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Apr 25, 2002, 4:24 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] MySQL problem using ORDER BY for international category names In reply to
I like the way you tell Alex how to program his own software Wink

perl based sorting over mysql....eek.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 26, 2002, 2:49 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MySQL problem using ORDER BY for international category names In reply to
Eh, Paul,

I did suggestions about a bug, which causes incorrect sorting in Links SQL.
The keywords are suggestions and bug. See?

Well, I have a software, which is not able to do sorting as it should. Does not matter if the reason is a bug in MySQL or anything else. Result is not correct for my national language (all accent characters are sorted to the end of lists...). Therefore I try to find a solution how to solve this problem...

Quote:
perl based sorting over mysql....eek.
If MySQL is not working correctly (only in respect of international string collate support), then what else can you do? Do sorting in just Perl. Or do MySQL sort + resort with Perl (resorting an already sorted list is much faster).

But if you have a working solution, let me know. Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support