Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Multiple templates per category possible?

Quote Reply
Multiple templates per category possible?
Hi!

When having eg. the category movies with the assigned template movies.html would it be possible to have different (more than one) template built per category?

I'd like to have templates movies1.html and movies2.html for the movie category.

Any idea?

sun
Quote Reply
Re: [sun112] Multiple templates per category possible? In reply to
Can it be done with the properties of "Category" ? Simply adding a colum with eg. template2 ? Like the column that's already there for the standard template?

I wanted to ask 1st before messing up something :)

Cheers,

sun
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Can it be done with the properties of "Category" ? Simply adding a colum with eg. template2 ? Like the column that's already there for the standard template?

I wanted to ask 1st before messing up something :)

Cheers,

sun

Hi there,

This feature is already built-in with Links SQL. All what you need is just specify what template you want for that particual category and done.. I think GT has a Links SQL demo setup too, you can check out the admin interface and I am sure you will admit it is easier than what you thought ;)

Hope this helps.

Need Scripts

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
I don't think it will be quite as simple as that unfortunately (although you may only need a simple plugin to achieve it - I'm not familiar enough with how this bit of the code works). I would think that this might be possible with the Pagebuilder plugin? Or you could use a different template set if you call the category dynamically. Can you give an example of how you want to use this?
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Multiple templates per category possible? In reply to
In Reply To:

Hi there,

This feature is already built-in with Links SQL. All what you need is just specify what template you want for that particual category and done.. I think GT has a Links SQL demo setup too, you can check out the admin interface and I am sure you will admit it is easier than what you thought ;)

Hope this helps.

Need Scripts

No, what I want is 2 templates for each category. I've already one for each, but I'd like to present 2 different schemes per category.

Cheers,

sun
Quote Reply
Hi,

This is not something that Links SQL is built to do by default unfortunately.

The multi-language plugin was built as a way to accomodate this requirement, so that one can have multiple templates for each language they wish to support and each category/link/detailed page would have two or more versions.

It's not an inexpensive plugin though, at US$500, not sure if your requirements justify an expenditure like that, but your decision.

Jack.
Quote Reply
This isn't the best solution, but you could also create a field in your Category table called Template_Version and set it to either 'A' or 'B' for specific categories. Then on the custom category template page where you want two versions, you can place the following:

<%if Template_Version eq 'A'%>
Full HTML for Version A Page Here

<%elseif Template_Version eq 'B'%>
Full HTML for Version B Page Here

<%endif%>

This would allow you to have two versions of the this category page depending on the version you designate in the Template_Version field. You would have to be careful with this, that you do designate a template version for each category.

--FrankM

Last edited by:

FrankM: Nov 17, 2003, 5:57 PM