Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Move pages under root?

Quote Reply
Move pages under root?
I installed Gossamer Links some time ago and when I did I chose the defaults as far as where to install the various components. What I noticed however is that now the "home" page to my site is located at http://kidsrate.com/glinks/pages/. I would prefer that my home page reside right under the root of http://kidsrate.com so that "glinks/pages/" does not show in any of my urls. If you go to kidsrate.com now I have a redirector page set up to send you to the Home page, but I would prefer to have the home page exist in the root. Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jaggster] Move pages under root? In reply to
Hi Jaggster,

Try this

1) Login to GLinks Admin Section
2) Select "Setup" from Top Menu.
3) Select "Paths and URLs" Left Menu.

Look for the options build_root_url & build_root_path and change it as desired.

That should fix the problem.

Hope this helps.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Move pages under root? In reply to
Hi,

Also, be sure to update the "update others" tick box near the bottom, so the images / detailed pages / cool etc are updated too =) You may have to move some files around too (to the root), out of the glinks/pages folder.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Move pages under root? In reply to
Thank you both for you input on this. I am hoping to be able to apply the changes you suggestion to my site over the next few days so hopefully this will all work for me.
Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Well after dealing with some other projects I was finally able to get back to this change of my build path. On my admin page I went into the setup link and set the build root paths as suggestion...checking off the update others box as well. After doing this it said the changes were saved and I then reran the Build All option.

Well, the main pages and folders seemed to move initially, but about 5 mintues later, I lost my entire install of Gossamer links. I could not access the admin page any longer and when I looked at the files on the server the entire install was gone. I have requested that the hosting company restore my directory but am curious what I may have done wrong here.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Mm.. that sounds very odd :/

So all you did was change your paths and URLs in Setup > Paths and URLs ?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes....as instructed in the reply above. After I ran the setup and the rebuild everything seemed to be working fine so I am thinking at this point it is an issue with my hosting provider. They checked the server my account is on with them and told me everything was gone (like I didnt know that), anyway, they are unsure they can restore anything for me. I may look for another hosting provider and just reinstall the scripts there. Very depressing!!!!

I was using Aplus.net. If anyone can recommend another one, I would apprecaite it.

Thanks,

Mike
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you want me to have a look, to see if it is there (but hidden or something), shoot over FTP access - and I'll have a look for you Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hey Andy,

Thank you for the offer but I had an admin with my hosting provider take a look and all that is lest is an index.html file in my root. My entire cgi-bin directory was wiped also. They said they werre going to try and get a restore done for me but I am still waiting on that. Even if they can restore it, I am not sure I want to stay with them to host my site as I really think the problem was on there end. Once I find a new place to host the site I will just reinstall the scripts there.

Thanks.

Mike
Quote Reply
Hi,

No problem =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk