Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Modifying a listing that is in multiple categories

Quote Reply
Modifying a listing that is in multiple categories
I notice that when a User modifies a listing that has been copied into multiple categories, it will only list that one category and if that listing is validated, it will wipe out all the other categories. Is there a way around this? Can the category option be removed from the Modify a Site form? Would that keep the categories from being affected?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Modifying a listing that is in multiple categories In reply to
Okay, is it possible to remove the category selection from the modify form and would removing it adversely affecr the program?
Quote Reply
I think what I really need to know is if the select a category can be removed from the modify a site form and perhaps replaced by a listing of categories the link is currently in. I realize this means a new include_form (include_modify_form) but does anything need to be done to any .cgi file? And would this work?
Quote Reply
Hate to bug but I really need to know if this is possible.
Quote Reply
I really do need to know if this is possible. I did try setting up a include_modify_form but when I used it, it came back with an error saying a category hasn't been chosen, even though I had removed the category option. Tongue
Quote Reply
Hello? Any answer here? Unsure
Quote Reply
HELLO?????
Quote Reply
Hello? Anybody? Frown
Quote Reply
When you say it has been copioed into multiple categories, why didn't you just select multiple categories for the single link (by holding down Ctrl when selecting categories)...Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
This really seems to be a problem.

As far as I can see, the code in Links/Users/Modify.pm presumes that a link is in only one category. The subs in question are:

_modify_passed_in() and _category_list()

One could modify it, but I don't know if this would have any other consequences...

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Modifying a listing that is in multiple categories In reply to
The owner can only select one category when modifying, which means that when any changes are made (whether the link is copied or multi), the category would reset to just the one category, correct?

What I want is to set it up so that the owner does not need to select a category when modifying...in fact, I don't want them changing the category that way at all.

Of course there is the fact that some of the links in my directory go into over 100 different categories and copying is much easier then holding down the CTRL key.
Quote Reply
If I can't remove the option of changing the category from the form (my first and most wanted feature) can it be set not to be changed at all? So the user can't modify it? Or would that still reset the categories back to just one category?