Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Mod_Perl !!!???

Quote Reply
Mod_Perl !!!???
I read this in the file UPDATE:
" If you are running under mod_perl, you can NOT run Links
SQL 1.x and Links SQL 2 under the same mod_perl server!"

What should it mean ??
That´s not possible to run two different databases, one with L1.13, one with L2 ???
I hope it is my bad english and you mean: i can´t use both Links on one database;
i cant buy another server or update my existing links, shurely not!

Robert

Quote Reply
Re: Mod_Perl !!!??? In reply to
Hi,

Yes, you can run Links SQL 1 and Links SQL 2 in the same database. You can _not_ however run both copies in the same mod_perl server. If you are using mod_perl, you will need a separate mod_perl server for Links SQL 2.

It doesn't affect the database though.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sorry, i dont understand any word ;-)

What is:

Mod_Perl: is a modification to apache, it makes perl faster cause it holds your perl-scripts inside memory, so not every call of a script must be loaded again and again.
To use mod_perl i compile it into my apache.

Database vs. Databasesystem vs tables:
Databasesystem is mysql; a database is links, tables are inside the database links: category, links ... (yes, you can name it in another way, so i do.)

What i have done:
Installed Links 1.13 and 2.0 on linux, apache, mysql, perl - one for gossamer1.com, another for gossamer2.com; both seems to run ok. I cant find anything why this should not run.

BTW: What´s with uploads?
BTW2: Hi Alex, if you are online, please,please send me my download-code ;-( again, i killed my workstation and lost all mail.

Quote Reply
Hi Robert,

If you are not using mod_perl then everything will work fine inside of one database (or in multiple databases).

The problem lies if you are using mod_perl. What happens is you have name space clashes. Links SQL 1 has it's own functions in the namespace Links::, and Links SQL 2 has different functions. The programs will conflict with each other.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I still dont understand it;

Maybe my mod-perl is not installed correctly and dont run.
But if it would run, why should it make problems.
We talk about running a links1 under L1.13 and a links2 under L2.
So we have two databases and two scripts.

Maybe you mean using one database(table) with both scripts, but who needs this (maybe for testing, but its easy to copy the tables)

If you mean i cant use or run two sites on one server with links1 and links2, we have a big problem ;-(
But i really dont understand how this could be;
Do you know a way to test, if mod_perl is running?

When i ask my php, it says mod_perl is installed.
Do i have to do something more than compile it in my apache ?

BTW ALEX: I have asked if you could do the upload-feature for links1.13 while modifying; i really need this mod, please
take youreslf this half hour and earn some of my money.

Robert

Quote Reply
I've got file uploads working, and it's in a non-links specific format.

I don't have any file moving yet, but it uploads files, decides if it's ASCII or BINARY and makes a binary thumbnail if it's one of the supported image formats.

I'm starting to tie it into links sql 2.0 at this point, but these core routines are not links specific. Should work the same with Links 1.1x. All you'd need to do is set up some configuration variables in the Links.pm file, and create a form to link the file to the uploaded record.

You could do some post-processing to change the name of the files to the LinkID once you get one.

But these routines get the files from the PC to the server via HTTP:// through the web browser. You can probably check the resources area for some ideas on how to deal with uploaded/attached files once they are on the server.

PUGDOG®
PUGDOG® Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ