Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Mobil Devices

Quote Reply
Mobil Devices
Is it possible to set up a LSQL template system for Mobil Devices (Palm, etc), I am unfamiliar with the coding required to do this. But I am guessing that xml would work. Any insight into this would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Mobil Devices In reply to
Depends on how you want to browse the pages. I believe if you have palm you have access to Avantgo and they have a channel system. Their site will have more documentation on setting it up. Still, if the palm pilot is connected through a wireless modem, Avantgo will quite happily handle standard HTML pages. On palm devices you can go to palm.com and download an emulator for their machines. I believe you need a bootstrap ROM though, which you may need to sign something like an NDA for.

For PocketPCs, you have the option of using pocket Internet Explorer, which also runs fine on standard HTML. Like the palms, microsoft has an emulator for their pocketpcs on their website. It's part of the Embedded Visual Studio tools. Works pretty well ;)

On my ipaq, I've got linux running and use the dillo browser which, yet again, works perfectly off of HTML.

The main thing to keep in mind when putting together a site for a PDS is to keep in mind are

- the screens are quite narrow
- colour may be limited
- javascript will probabaly not be available
- connection time is slow so take it easy on bandwidth

Things change too if you want to have information like articles on your site. Things get tricky if you want to create WAP pages for cellphones.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Mobil Devices In reply to
Thank you. You have provided a weath of information. At least know I have a starting point. Wink
Quote Reply
If you mean other Wireless devices, like PCS or wireless phones, then you'll need to implement WAP in your templates.

For more info on WAP technologies, go to:

http://www.wapforum.org/
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi

Only a limited number of devices require WAP to be used.

To learn more about WAP I highly suggest going to the source at Openwave.

http://developer.openwave.com/

There you will find a huge amount of info, SDK's and more.

The trend however is not towards WAP but towards HTML. Aki covered those areas very well. I will add that Microsoft has teamed up with numerous phone manufactures to bring the big boy program to the forefront, .NET! Keep you eye on this as it will have a HUGE effect on the wireless world.

Good luck!Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Mobil Devices In reply to
I found this open source script for all mobile devices -

http://www.hawhaw.de/index.htm

Looks promising. I don't have the time right now to dive into this, but it will be on my list of things to do. Wink
Quote Reply
Hmm...limited??? For PSC and wireless phones, they require WAP to translate common HTML codes...which a growing number of "Wireless" users are going to.

Why question the advice that I already provided, huh> I only was trying to help and your post was only posted in attempts to contradict my post!!! Now, who is being condescending and "negative", huh???
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Mobil Devices In reply to
In Reply To:
Why question the advice that I already provided, huh> I only was trying to help and your post was only posted in attempts to contradict my post!!! Now, who is being condescending and "negative",

I believe your post was in response to Teambldr, but it sounded like it was directed toward me, and I found it offensive. I do not know what kind of feud you two have going, nor do I care. This forum is for the open and friendly exchange of information, not flame wars. I found your first post informative and helpful. I was researching your suggestions when I found other information I thought might be interesting. I hope we all can get back on the right foot.
Quote Reply
Uh...I would recommend reading the post header, because I was, in fact, responding to Teambldr's condescending and discounting remarks....

Re: [Teambldr] Mobil Devices [In reply to]

Sorry, but the above post was not intended for you, but for Teambldr.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Aug 31, 2002, 8:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Mobil Devices In reply to
I'm not referring to anyone in particular (I just replied to the last post) but guys, keep it friendly.

Alex posted guidelines in a private forum on when to lock threads and it is getting close to one of those occassions, although not quite yet.

Be happy.
Quote Reply
I think that you will find the information at Openwave to be priceless when it comes to developing for WAP.

Fragmentation in the wireless device arena and with the invent of smarter phones featuring video feeds, etc... WAP is losing marketshare. But currently that loss is minimal as the invent of Smart Phones and features like live video drive the manufacturers away from WAP at the pace of development.

Openwave however is the provider of the OS for many of the major cell companies including Sprint PCS. And thier SDK along with testing sections, developers forums, etc... will give you the best, most direct information abut WAP and digital wireless devices.

That .de link is interesting as well. Thanks for posting that.

btw...I am sorry if Stealths' post made you uncomfortable. He was directing that at me. There is no war here.

Enjoy and good luck!Cool
Quote Reply
I thank all of you for getting back to the subject of MOBILE devices. Somehow we got sidetracked with WAP. There has been much useful information posted here and I will enjoy researching your suggestions.