Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface

Quote Reply
Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface
How would this be done?

The key thing problem here is authentication - how do I allow everyone access to view browser.cgi, but not to edit anything? Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [,] Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface In reply to
Might I ask why you need them to access browser.cgi, when you don't want them to use its functions?

Browser.pm is shared with both admin and editors, and presents a security risk to your directory by allowing any person into it.

If the purpose is purely to allow users to see additional information, I would suggest using globals and tags, rather than letting them into the browser.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jul 27, 2002, 3:10 PM
Quote Reply
Hi

Do You mean view the category tree but making the category link take you to the category page (user interface)..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface In reply to
Hi Ian,

Basically, I think that the category tree menu system is really rather sexy, and is a bit of waste to keep it in the admin area. I have written my own tree menu system using a global but it isn't half as sexy or as quick as the gossamer one. If it could be done safely, it would be nice to have it available to users.
Quote Reply
Ooh that sounds pretty sexy...if you could show us the code that you are curently using for your global that would be sexy...I'm interested in taking a peek at that.

I agree the category tree system is really sexy.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface In reply to
You worry me sometimes.
Quote Reply
Oh yeah, i like sexy things too.......Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface In reply to
I pmd you the code. It works for all the pages in the lsql directory, so wherever you are it'll keep the current cat highlighted.
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] Making Browser.Cgi Available as a User Interface In reply to
if you have a problem with me finding perl code erotic please say. It's perfectly normal, it's just one of many different but valid lifestyle choices.
Quote Reply
What does everyone think of my banana?