Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links properties

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Links properties
I am having people add links with way to much info in the description field of my add links section. Is there anyway of limiting the number of characters people can add to the description field when they are adding their link?
appreciate suggestions

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [knewt] Links properties In reply to
Good idea!

I've already implemented into Links 2.0, and yes, this would be also fine in Links SQL.
I will put this to my todo list for my Extended Links plugin, as this feature is also related to link features.
It seems I will have a lot work on the Extended Links plugin... Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [knewt] Links properties In reply to
I had a guy write a promotional essay on his site, for my description field the other day. I think there should be a max numer of characters field in the admin panel.... and an alert box or something similar when the go over.

Hows that extended plugin coming along, when do you expect to release you first version?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Links properties In reply to
Below is a couple of links that may help, they won't work on all browsers but may with some of the long submissions.

http://javascript.internet.com/.../limit-textarea.html

http://www.cs.tut.fi/.../forms/textarea.html

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] Links properties In reply to
Your suggestion only helps when you use javascript to count typed character number & stop entering longer text than maximum number.
However it is not enough and modification is also needed in Links SQL to validate the fields of submited link, including the content length of description field.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Links properties In reply to
Thanks for the suggestions minesite. But I agree with webmaster here. Although I use exactly this type of javascript on some forms on other sites of mine, I think it is imporatant that links is able to do this internally without javascript. I am sure perl can cope with this, even though I dont know perl (yetWink)
Quote Reply
Knewt: I have to correct myself about implementing the "description length limiting feature".
I can not decide yet, if I will implement the "description length limit feature", into Extended Links plugin, or I will develop a separate plugin, which has link add, modify, delete related features...

Quote:
Hows that extended plugin coming along, when do you expect to release you first version?
I'm developing it in my free time, so developments are going slowly. I would be glad to tell you, that it will come soon, but there is still what to do. Currently I can not tell you when will be exatly released, but as you will see I'm getting close to the finish line. Wink
Let me show you, what is implemented already & what I plan to implement...

Features of my Extended Links plugin (currently implemented or under development):
- Sorting links in a category (link reordering) ascending-descending by selected field (earlier discussed as "Customized link sorting") - implemented
- 3 level [new] images feature (placed near links & near category names on category page &
home page) - implemented
- Page Timer to measure display time (displayable in templates) - implemented
- Link numbering (with multi page support) - implemented
- Quick jump to link previous-next, top, bottom - implemented
- Template based Related category names (format taken from relcategories.html) - implemented
- Short form name storage in the DB (space saving), then long form name display in links on category pages & home page. - implemented
- Display Last X links (displayed on home page) - under development
- Group by similar links (means: when we sort by a field type, the similar types are grouped & separated. If we sort by Contact_Name field, then same Contact Names will listed together, and separated from other Contact Names by separator lines) - planned
- Quick jump to Similar links group (downdrop menu to quickjump to groups on the page) - planned
- Display only filled fields in links - planned
- many options for all features above - planned

That's all currently. As you see most of the job is done, but there is still work to do.
The Extended Links plugin v1.0 will be commercial and will cost $67 (payment will be processed by Kagi or RegSoft).
Buyers will get 6 month free e-mail support and free upgrades for minor changes, bug fixes.
Main, major releases may have upgrade cost.

If anybody has ideas, related to link displaying, suggest it here, so I can add to the to do list.
Suggestions are welcome.

Also let me know, if somebody would be interested in this plugin, when it will be released (inquiries can posted here into the forum or by private message or by email).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Webmaster,

This sounds like quite the plug-in!

I am particularly interested in the numbering and spaning of link numbers. Does this go for search, and category displayed links?

Suggestions for plug-in, would have to be stats. I think I wrote a post somewhere recently on suggested stats plug-in. Just can't remember where off hand.

I wonder if any of these feature are something that GT will be including in LSQL though?
Quote Reply
Sooke,

The Link numbering and spanning through more pages works correctly for me (as I tested Wink).
It works on category pages, but not on search results, yet. Good idea, I just forgot to implement it Smile.
I will implement it on search pages, too. Thanks!
More questions would be fine to discover, if a plugin feature knows what you want. It helps me to find what else feature could be need.

Stats? What kind of stats?
I think statistics would need separate plugin, and should not go into a link displaying related plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
For Stats, I am thinking:

• total queries, total today
  • total users, new users today
  • top visiting user, top links submitter (user with most links)
  • total editors, number of categories with editors, number without
  • number of categories each editor currently is assigned, and which ones (title/link)
  • number of categories which have no links in them
  • number of categories which have more than X links in them
  • most popular category, least popular category
  • categories which have a directory depth greater than X.... allows you to see subcategories which are getting burried too deeply!

And more, and more... I know this sounds overwhelming, but for those who are running very large directories, some/most of these things would be very useful tools in my opinion anyways.

You might be right though, a seperate stats plug in may be in order for this due it being a differnt thing.

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 24, 2002, 11:45 PM
Quote Reply
Yes, I aggree the stats features you suggest would be very useful!
But I think some months will go away, before development of a stats plugin could be started...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
What about featured links which change appearance when the isPriority is set? Not only are they listed at the top, but you can define what the appearnce will be in the plugin. Just another maybe, I don't know how may people would be interested.

The top/bottom go directly to a page feature you have sounds good also!

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 24, 2002, 11:54 PM
Quote Reply
Top/bottom go Quicklinks already implemented.

Featured links are planned, but it will not be the exact part of Extended Links plugin, because it would be a special feature with billing management features and would cost much more than Extended Links plugin.

I'm thinking, that I develop Featured Links plugin as plugin of Extended Links plugin.
Sounds strange? Plugin of a plugin? Yeah. Wink
It seems it is possible, but I will see how will I able to solve this.

Sorry, if I don't plan to give a Featured plugin within Extended Links itself, but this feature is something, what people will use to make money... So I can not sell it as a cheap $60-70 price, will be some times higher.
I hope you understand my viewpoint.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi Sooke

"What about featured links which change appearance when the isPriority is set? "

Try modifying the link.html with:

<%if isPriority%>
Changed link appearence!
<%endif%>

<%ifnot isPriority%>
Standard link appearence!
<%endif%>

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
You mentioned this plugin makes changes to builtin code therefore you'll hit problems with upgrades and that almost defeats the object of a plugin..

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 25, 2002, 2:17 AM
Quote Reply
Sooke

Try this link

Re: number of total categories

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ategories%20;#148524

total editors and total users and number of links and how many categories

Its a bit old but may help point you in the right direction.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Minesite,

Your suggestion helps him in one statistic feature, but I think Sooke wants more than this: complete statistics about his site.
I understand his feel, because many times I would like to check a lot kind of statistical parameters about my site, database growth, several category stats, several links stats, etc.
I think there is a high need for complete statistic features in LinksSQL, so we will see if GT team wants to implement statistical features or somebody will need to develop statistic plugin...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Links properties In reply to
Yes, you are right, I may have problems with upgrades because the plugin replaces some builtin code parts. I know about this, but I don't feel it so big problem.

1) Many parts of Links SQL are not changing from release to release.
2) If changes were done in common codes what the plugin also use, I will do the upgrade.
Of course these upgrades will be released free of charge for my registered users.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi Minesite,

That simple huh?Blush

I guess it would still be nice to tie together a lot of the ideas and bits and peices that people seems to be using and wanting on this forum.

I also think that before releasing any commercial or other plug-in, it might be prudent to check with the Gossamer Team to see if it conflicts or parallels with their to-do list for near future upgrade to Links.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the link to those totals Minestie...

I would still like to see a complete stats plug-in though which is developed and improved with requested suggestions as time goes on.

I would write this my self, honestly, but I am pre-school with perl at the moment. I just learned what a scaler was yesterday!!
Quote Reply
This is what it comes down to:

Quote:

I think there is a high need for complete statistic features in LinksSQL, so we will see if GT team wants to implement statistical features or somebody will need to develop statistic plugin...

I wonder just how many users out there would actually want this and would even pay for such a thing if need be? Good one for a poll don't you think?

Wink
Quote Reply
I might be able to come up with a stats plugin over the next week.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Links properties In reply to
Paul, I've said it once before, and I am going to say it again:

You are an asset to this forum!!!
Quote Reply
Strip HTML from Description In reply to
I am thinking that not only the Length of the description and/or title of a link be limited, but why not strip out html as well?

You could end up with people putting in bolding, italics, or worse, links!

I personally check every post which goes in ... I dont just click Validate blindly. But this would be especially nice for those who have automatic validation and don't want html in their links!

I was trying to figure out an SQL statment or two which would go through the database and strip html from Description and Title... but it did not look that simple. I have seen a few functions written in visual basic which do this, I am sure there is a way.
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Strip HTML from Description In reply to
Ah that was something I was going to ask.....the Title limit feature in the "Extended" plugin seems a bit redundant to me...you can already do this by default in the admin panel.

Strip out html:

^[^><]{5,500}$

There you go two birds, one stone.....no < or > allowed in the field...min length 5, maxlength 500

Last edited by:

Paul: May 1, 2002, 11:50 AM
> >